- Unlocked interactions based on emotions.
- New ghost interactions
- Angry fire ghosts can start fires.
- Ghosts can talk about being dead.
- Ghosts can now possess any object, instead of only certain objects.
- Electric ghosts can break appliances when they are angry, and repair appliances when they are happy.
- Electric ghosts can electrocute others when they are playful.
- Emotional ghosts can spread the emotion that killed them (embarrassment, anger, playful).
- Exhaustion ghosts prefer to take it easy.
- Emotion system. This a main feature with a wide scope that has a major effect on gameplay.
- Create a Sim: Hands-on interface.
- Directly pull and stretch the heads of Sims and even their bodies
- Body parts can be enlarged or shortened
- Walk styles
- More genetics options
- Create a Sim's parent and sibling, in addition to child
- Ethnic-looking presets of faces and hair
- Build mode: Improved and easier
- Moving and rotating rooms and houses.
- Saving rooms (for sharing, copying, or moving to another lot).
- Enlarging objects (objects can be scaled using shift+[ and shift+]. It's useful for decorative objects).
- Windows can be placed at any height.
- Curved fences/railings. (The size of the curved section can be adjusted. They can be elliptical. They must be multiples of 90 degrees. The minimum size for a 90 degree curve is 2x2. Curves can define the edge of a floor (with or without a railing), but only when convex (a floor tile on the outside of the curve is not rendered correctly) ).
- Players can easily adjust the height of a floor at any time (including after building floors above it), but there are only 3 supported heights and the height of a floor must be same for the whole lot.
- Roofs on the same lot can have different patterns.
- Columns (pillars) automatically scale to the height of the floor/story, but when placed on the ground with a building that has a foundation, the column is the height of the ground floor only, so there is a gap above it equivalent to the height of the foundation.
- The Gallery content sharing system.
- Traveling across worlds / neighborhoods without losing relationships, inventory or any other data.
- Comedy clubs
- Ability to change a Sim's aspiration without the use of special objects or game rewards.
- Multi-level lifetime goals.
- Rocket ships
- Monkey bar
- Gaming Rig
- Objects with emotional auras
- Llama hedge
- Pants are tucked in under boots
- Hats/headgear and hair are now separate
- Delete and move objects Sims are using without the
- The television speed now goes faster now, yet the stereo speed does not.
- Teenagers can "Mess Around", which has the same animation as WooHoo.
Features present in previous gamesEdit
- Cowplant (The Sims 3 Store)
- Nightclubs (The Sims 3: Late Night)
- Violin (The Sims 3 Store)
- Grand pianos (The Sims 3: Late Night)
Features that existed in The Sims 3 core game but not in The Sims 4 core game.
- Create A Style is no longer available. Clothes and objects are available in pre-defined colors only (unless players change it through Mods).
- Teens are no longer shorter than young adults, adults and elders.
- No opacity slider for makeup.
- Trash compactors
- Cars exist only as animated ambient decorations. Sims cannot own them or travel in them.
- Alarm clock
- Landline telephone
- Rabbit Holes
- Unrestricted ability to modify the terrain (
Build Mode Edit
- Modifying the terrain elevation (the lot is completely flat).
- No pond tool. (however Natural Pools are a feature in The Sims 4: Get Together)
- Ability to build walls on both ground and foundation, if foundation is applied on the lot.
- Steps cannot have different railings on each side. They can only have a railing on just one side if one side is against a wall.
- Create A Style is no longer available. Objects are available in pre-defined colors only.
Editing World Edit
- Players cannot place new lots or change the size of existing ones, nor can they place decorations in the world.
- Worlds are much smaller - about 25 lots per world (but Sims can move freely between them during a game, and there are three worlds in the base game).
Live Mode Edit
- No more open world
- Players get a loading screen when moving a played Sim to another lot or neighborhood (region of about 5 lots), but not on moving between the current lot and the open space of its neighborhood.
- When Sims in the same household are on different lots, there are limited actions available for those not on the current lot, and players can switch to the lot of another Sim but that will cause a loading screen.
- Story progression has been removed. Sims the player does not control directly will eventually die, but they won't get married or have children on their own.
The MoveObjects cheat is currently broken and will be fixed in a later patch.
- The MoveObjects cheat can be enabled using bb.moveobjects on
- The TestingCheatsEnabled cheat from The Sims 3 has been changed to "testingcheats on".
- The Familyfunds cheat from The Sims 3 has been changed to Money <amount> (after using testingcheats on).
- Ghosts were originally removed from the base game, but were re-added in Patch 5.
- Swimming pools weren't present in the base game, but eventually were added in Patch 5 in November 2014.
- Dishwashers weren't present in the base game, but were readded in Patch 23.
- Repairmen weren't present in the base game, but were added in Patch 26.
- Gardeners weren't present in the base game, but were added in Patch 30.
- Nannies weren't present in the base game, but were added in Patch 37.