Diving areas are a type of lot assignment that was introduced in The Sims 3: Island Paradise. Unlike other lot types, diving areas are completely underwater, and Sims can only visit them by scuba diving, unless they are just boating on the surface or swimming. The only part of the lot that's visible without scuba diving is the ocean and the diving buoy, which Sims can use to initiate diving.
There are four default diving areas in Isla Paradiso. Each of them can only be accessed by Sims who have a sufficient level of Scuba Diving skill. Below is the list of the diving areas in Isla Paradiso:
- Rocky Reef (Scuba Diving level 2)
- Davy Jones' Locker (Scuba Diving level 4)
- Mermaid Grotto (Scuba Diving level 7)
- Pearl's Deep (Scuba Diving level 9)
- It's possible for advanced players to edit other premade worlds and make their own diving areas. Diving areas are not exclusive to Isla Paradiso. However, they cannot have diving areas if the sea is too shallow or is not properly set as "ocean". Appaloosa Plains, Lunar Lakes, Riverview and Twinbrook cannot have diving areas due to these restrictions.
- While the SimGurus have said that making dive lots is not possible, it is possible to make them without the use of mods. This tutorial shows how to make a dive lot.
- The Mermaid Grotto is a reference to Disneyland's meet-and-greet area Ariel's Grotto, since Ariel is a mermaid from Disney's The Little Mermaid.