pets that Sims can own in The Sims: Unleashed, The Sims 2: Pets, The Sims 3: Pets, and The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs.
The Sims: UnleashedEdit
Dogs were introduced in The Sims: Unleashed. In The Sims, a family can adopt a dog by going to the Pet Center in Old Town, or a Sim can befriend and adopt a stray. However, the Create a Sim section of The Sims does not allow players to create pets.
Skills for dogs are Obedience, Tricks, and Housebreaking. Dogs must be housebroken by praising them when they relieve themselves outside and/or scolding them when they do it inside. A dog may or may not try to drive El Bandito the raccoon off a lot, but will ignore the burglar.
The premade dogs belonging to playable households in The Sims: Unleashed are:
- Bobo, Duke & Leroy.(Owned by the Hick family)
- Luna Charming (Owned by Claire Charming)
- Tucker Burb (Owned by the Burb family)
The Sims 2: PetsEdit
In The Sims 2: Pets, dogs may be created in the Create a Pet section of Create a Sim. Sims can adopt dogs or puppies using the phone, by buying them on community lots that sell pets, or by forming a friendship with a stray dog and adopting them. Players can also get a pet dog in Apartment Life by buying the pet cage in the pets section of buy mode, although these dogs are "decorative", and are considered as small pets.
In Pets, dogs come in two sizes: small and large. Regardless of breed, all small dogs are the same size, as are all large dogs. A dog's size affects how long its adult life stage will last. A small dog will live for 25 days as an adult, while a large dog will be an adult for 22 days. Aside from that, small and large dogs are treated the same.
The wolves that are sometimes seen wandering the neighborhood, including the leader of the pack whose bite creates werewolves, are a variation of large dog. Other than the pack leader, they can be adopted like other strays. Wolves can be bred with dogs.
After a dog becomes an adult, a Sim can stroke the dog, rub its belly, or feed it a treat. Sims can play fetch with a dog, or can play a razzle game with it. A Sim can take a dog for a walk, which will relieve its Bladder need.
Unlike their counterparts in Unleashed, puppies in Pets are mobile and largely self-sufficient. They can feed themselves, if there is food available, and sleep on pet beds without the help of a Sim or their mother. Puppies can also learn Behaviors, so they can be housebroken. However, puppies cannot go up or down stairs without the help of a Sim. If a house is on a foundation, even a well-housebroken pup will need a Sim's help to relieve its bladder. Also, puppies cannot get jobs or learn Commands. Puppies are all the same size, regardless of what size they will be as adults.
The premade dogs belonging to playable households in The Sims 2: Pets are:
- Danny, Sarah & Unborn Crittur puppies
- Gabby Kim (Owned by the Kim family)
- Porthos Roseland (Owned by Cyd Roseland)
The Sims Pet StoriesEdit
The Sims Castaway StoriesEdit
Dogs in The Sims Castaway Stories are actually Hyenas. Their appearance has changed, though all of the options from The Sims 2: Pets are still available (e.g., Stroke, Razzle, Feed treat, etc.).
The Sims 3: PetsEdit
Dogs are featured in The Sims 3: Pets along with cats and horses, and appear to be largely similar to those found in The Sims 2. They are controllable and have their own traits and wishes. Dogs are able to form any type of relationship with cats and horses, except mating.
The dog needs consist of Hunger, Energy, Fun, Social, Bladder, and Destruction. When their Destruction need is too low, they might use the Chew interaction on an inanimate object, which can range from a toy to a statue. They can also use the Guard interaction on a wide variety of objects, from food bowls and toys to the entire house. They can get a job in The Sims 3 Pets for console, but not in PC version.
A dog can distract a burglar that is present on the lot by playing with them.
The premade dogs belonging to playable households in The Sims 3: Pets are:
- BaBa Marshall (Owned by the Marshall family)
- Buckley Bedlington (Owned by the Bedlington family)
- Ditz Riffin (Owned by the Riffin family)
- Ginger & Walter Blackburn (Owned by Vera Blackburn)
- Patch Miller (Owned by the Miller family)
- Pantoufle Pelly (Owned by the Pelly family)
- Ralston Schmidt (Owned by Benjamin Schmidt)
- Shep Fox (Owned by the Fox family)
The Sims 4: Cats & DogsEditDogs return as one of the two major pets in The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs. They appear largely similar to those in The Sims 2: Pets. They are not directly controllable, however Sims with higher pet training skill can order their dog around much more efficiently. Dogs are able to form any type of relationships with cats, except mating.
The dog needs aren't able to be viewed from a panel, instead dogs and notifications will signal the Sim or player what the dog's needs are. Dogs just like cats have their own set of unique traits, most breeds when selected will automatically give a trait based on the breed. (This is removable)
The pre-made dogs belonging to playable households in The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs are:
Dogs have a set of their own unique traits:
- Couch Potato
There is a Fox breed within the dog breeds and a unique fox voice
- The hyena skin from The Sims Castaway Stories can be imported to The Sims 2 (if the Pets expansion is installed) or The Sims Pet Stories. Copy the hyena skin from the PetBreeds folder for The Sims Castaway Stories and paste it into the PetBreeds folder for The Sims 2 or The Sims Pet Stories. In all three games, the PetBreeds folder is located under the
(My) Documents\EA Games\(name of game)folder.
- When a dog dies in The Sims 2: Pets, they will enjoy a last game of fetch with the Grim Reaper.
- In The Sims Unleashed, a dog will often chase Nancy the Paper Girl after she leaves the newspaper.
- In The Sims 3: Pets, a dog with 5 Hunting skill points can go out and find their master a date.
- If The Sims 3: Supernatural is installed, dogs tend to get along well with werewolves.[confirmation needed]
- Dogs can distract babysitters.[TS3]