Fairies are described as elegant but mischievous magical creatures who love playing tricks on Sims, and who maintain their basic needs just like normal Sims. They have a hidden skill known as Fairy Magic. Fairies tend to take a liking to animals and gardening.
Ways to make a FairyEdit
- Create a Fairy in Create a Sim. See Creating a Fairy section below for more information.
- A Sim can become a fairy by getting a chance to receive a Fairy opportunity when searching for fairies in the Arboretum.
- There is an elixir known as the Bottled Blessing of the Fae which can turn a normal Sim into a fairy.
- A Sim with level 10 of Alchemy skill can mix this elixir at the alchemy station by having red toadstools, sunstone gem and fairy damsel in their inventory.
- Check an elixir consignment shop as the shop may have the elixir, but not on a daily basis.
Creating a FairyEdit
Players can create a fairy in Create a Sim. At the "Supernatural Types" button at the Basics section of CAS, select "Fairy" and the Sim being created becomes a fairy. After that, the fairy automatically gets a pair of wings - for flight in their normal and natural form - with a unique color. The wings' color is the same in the fairy's natural form.
In the Basics section, there is a second tab which is labeled as Fairy Basics. It allows the player to customize a fairy's wings and select their color.
There are six different wing designs and they are all labeled. They are:
To change the color of the wings, there is a Change Wing Color button on the bottom right outside the box of wing designs. There are two tabs which are the Swatches and the Color Wheel. Choose any color for her/his wings. However, in custom fairy wing colors cannot be saved, so it is the player who will need to remember the color code or save a fairy with similar wing colors into the bin.
There are many fairy-themed clothes and accessories for a fairy to wear, although other Sims can wear them too. However, letting fairies wear them gives them a more realistic look.
Fairies live longer than normal Sims just like werewolves and vampires. Like vampires, fairies have a lifespan that is five times as long as that of a normal Sim, whereas werewolves have a lifetime that is 1.5 times as long. They move at an increased rate as they fly around. They shrink to their natural form to perform interactions that they can't do when normal-sized. They are "natural born tricksters", tricking Sims using different interactions.
The more they use magic, the more abilities become available. They can receive different auras, and the ability to use fairy pranks.
They get the positive "Energized by moonlight" moodlet every night except on the new moon, with its value changing based on how close the lunar cycle is to full moon. However, on the new moon, they get the slightly negative (-5) "Starving for moonlight" moodlet.
Fairies are able to use magic for good or bad. When starting out, they will have a very limited set of magical abilities. As they gain their Fairy Magic skill, they unlock new abilities and benefits slowly.
Magic is not infinite, so when fairies use magic, they begin to lose magic powers. They have a magic meter which is similar to the meter witches have. The meter can be found under a fairy's avatar in the game interface. The meter shows how much magic power they have left.
As their magic powers drain, fairies should maintain the magic meter in order to continuously use their abilities. They can slowly wait for a while to refill the meter or they can fill their meter at a faster rate by drinking Pollen Punch, riding the train in a train set or relaxing in a Fairy House. They can also instantly replenish their meter to full by drinking the Essence of Magic elixir.
If all of their magic power is used up, it will take normally six hours to refill completely, enabling them to use magic again. During these six hours, they will have a negative moodlet.
Although fairies are "natural born tricksters", not every trick will be successful. Sometimes, their tricks will fail, causing some negative effect to either the fairy, the affected Sims, or both.
Fairies use auras which affect themselves and nearby Sims. There are several different auras, which have different effects. Some of these are:
- Aura of Soothing - Gives a positive moodlet
- Aura of Creativity - Creative skills are easier to learn, and are learned faster
- Aura of Body and Mind - Improves the rate at which Sims learn skills related to body or mind
If Seasons is also installed, fairies can cast Reviving Sprinkle using the Weather Stone, which turns rain into flowers. All the gardens in the current world will be magically watered and fertilized, vanishing weeds off and revived dead plants. At the end of Reviving Sprinkle, a beautiful rainbow can be seen across the sky.
- To Sims
Since fairies love to trick, they can do so with the available interactions, depending on what Fairy Magic level they are on. This may reduce Sims' relationship with the fairy.
But fairies can also be on the good side. In addition to their auras, they can use the Playful Pester interaction, in which a fairy playfully circles the head of a Sim in their natural form. This boosts social and fun motives for both the Fairy and Sim.
Fairies can give their fairy dust to Sims which can be used to remove the zombie's curse or give another Sim the ability to float.
- To other Fairies
Fairies can also play round by the Fairy Frolic interaction. Similar to the Playful Pester interaction, it is performed by two fairies when they turn into their natural forms and play around.
Fairy power can be spread to other Sims around town by mating with a normal Sim or a Supernatural. Genetics play the key role in this. From mating with a normal Sim or a Supernatural, there will be 50% chance that the offspring will inherit fairy power.
Baby fairies do not have wings, although the color of their wings can be determined via the color of the sparkles that surround them. Toddler fairies will have wings, but they have no special fairy abilities, aside from the fairy hover. They also have fairy-styled idle animations, such as floating and flapping of wings. They are also easy to take care of with a fairy bungalow or castle. They can drink pollen punch to satisfy their hunger, and can join or host a fairy house party. Fairies may also sleep in a bungalow or castle.
Child fairies can perform four tricks as a fairy to Sims. When they become teenagers, they can then perform other tricks like a normal fairy, assuming they have a high level of Fairy Magic skill. Thus, child fairies can get a head-start in developing their Fairy Magic skill by using the four tricks given.
Curing a FairyEdit
A fairy Sim can be returned to be normal by using the Potent Cure Elixir.
The fairy can also be asked by her/his romantic interest to Forsake The Fae. The opportunity window will appear, explaining what may happen and what to do. Once accepted, they must follow the instructions - fairies usually go to the Arboretum - to forsake the fae, thus becoming normal.
Fairies that have become normal again no longer have any fairy abilities or wings.
- In addition to their wings, their bodies can also glow.
- Baby fairies don't have wings.
- There are several new moodlets related to fairies. Some show level of magic warnings, some are related to the Lunar Cycle, and some to fairy interactions.
- The Summerdream family could be considered part of the fairies, because Oberon and Titania Summerdream are both fairies, and all of their ancestors have similar physical appearances, such as the elf ears. However, fairy is not a playable life state in The Sims 2
- Like Vampires, Fairies age up 5 times slower than normal Sims.
- Fairies may transform to their natural form - small butterfly - and fulfill their needs in the Fairy House or Fairy Castle, like sleeping and eating (through drinking pollen punch). They may also throw fairy parties and WooHoo with other fairies.
- Fairies in Supernatural seem to have some references to fairies in True Blood. For example, vampires get a "buzz" after feeding from a fairy like in True Blood.
- In The Sims 4, there are decorative fairies in Sylvan Glades, the hidden lot in Willow Creek.
- There is one action a Sim can use on a Fairy called "Imply mother was a glowbug".