Some expansion packs include more varieties of plant collections. Some of the plants can be used as ingredients for Nectar Making and Mixology, with the key ingredients for Nectar Making being the grapes from Champs Les Sims. With Ambitions, Sims can register as a self-employed gardener.
Number Planted, Unique Plants Planted, Items Harvested, Perfect Items Harvested, Unknown Seeds Planted, Best Harvestable, Money Earned, Largest Money Bag Harvested.
- Master Planter
A Master Planter must plant 19 types of plant that can be planted in the game. Once you have mastered the varieties you will be able to reduce weed growth significantly on future plants.
- Botanical Boss
Botanical Bosses must harvest at least 75 Perfect fruits and vegetables. After so many Perfect harvastables, the plants of Botanical Bosses almost never die from neglect.
- Master Farmer
Master Farmers have harvested at least 650 fruits and vegetables. The plants of Master Farmers remain watered and fertilized longer, meaning their gardens are more efficient.
|1||Plant Common seeds|
|5||Plant Uncommon seeds|
|6||Revive plants (with Green Thumb trait)|
|7||Plant Rare and Special seeds|
|8||Plant Cheese and Egg plants (via Skill Opportunities)|
|9||Plant Burger Patty and Steak plants (via Skill Opportunities)|
|10||Plant Omni Plant seeds (via Skill Opportunities)|
Plants and seeds can be planted at home. Seeds can be found on the ground throughout the town or upon reaching level 1, while plants can be found from the supermarket, vegetable stand[Store], or harvesting from wild plants.
|Image||Plant||Rarity||Value (in §)||Max Produce||Fertilizer||Nectar Value||EP|
|Cherimola Blan Grapes||Common||4||30||5||3||5|
|Gralladina Fran Grapes||Rare||10||30||15||3||12|
|Cranerlet Nuala Grapes||Rare||13||30||15||3||16|
|Red Valerian Root||Common||6||20||5||3||-|
|Red Berry Bean||Common||50||20||10||5||-|
- The sale values of each plant depends on its quality. The higher the quality, the more valuable it will be, based on its base value:
- Normal: 100%
- Nice: 110%
- Very Nice: 150%
- Great: 200%
- Excellent: 250%
- Outstanding: 300%
- Perfect: 400%
- Max Produce is the maximum produce the plant can bear before being barren.
- Nectar Value is the value of the produce when used as a single nectar ingredient.
Harvested produce has a quality ranging from horrifying, putrid, foul, bad, normal, nice, very nice, great, excellent, outstanding, and perfect. Higher quality produce is worth more for selling and will have increased strength as fertilizer. The quality of the harvested produce roughly corresponds to the quality of the plants. Thus, an excellent apple tree will usually bear excellent apples, however there is a chance of harvesting higher quality produce.
Produce can be used as ingredients for Cooking, Nectar Making, and Mixology. The food, nectar, and drink quality depends on how the quality of the used produce. Some produce can also be used as fishing bait.
Fertilizer is used to enhance the produce. The quality of the produce will increase as long as the fertilizer is applied.
|Image||Fertilizer||Grade||Time (Days)||Relative Potency|
|Gralladina Fran Grapes[TS3:WA]||15||3||45|
|Cranerlet Nuala Grapes[TS3:WA]||15||3||45|
|Sea Bat Starfish[TS3:ST]||10||3||30|
|Red Valerian Root[TS3:SN]||5||3||15|
|Cherimola Blan Grapes[TS3:WA]||5||3||15|
The time is increased by 1 day for Great, Excellent, and Outstanding fertilizer, and 2 days for perfect fertilizer.
The quality of the fertilizer modifies its effectiveness. For qualities ranging from Horrifying (the lowest) to Very Nice inclusively, a multiplier is applied to the fertilizer's effectiveness or grade ranging from 0.6 to 1.2. This modifier increases by 0.1 with each successive level of quality the fertilizer gains. Starting from Very Nice up to Perfect, that is from 1.2 to 2.0, the modifier increases by increments of 0.2 with each improvement to the fertilizer's quality. The net result is that the worst possible quality (Horrifying) reduces the effectiveness of the fertilizer by 40%, a Normal quality fertilizer maintains it as it is (fertilizer x 1.0), and a Perfect fertilizer doubles the original efficiency (fertilizer x 2.0). The following table presents all the relevant data.
- Fertilizer modifiers based on its quality
Furthermore, having the Master Farmer challenge completed gives an additional 2 days of fertilized time to any plant.
Helpful tips Edit
- Dead vs Barren
- Dead plants can occur after you neglect any plants under 'Wilting' condition for one day. After that, your Sim will have to dispose or revive them (Green Thumb trait is required for reviving). Barren plants have the same appearance as dead plants, but they cannot be revived. Each plant will become barren after it reaches its maximum amount of produce.
- (Note: Money trees cannot be revived as they'll explode upon their death)
- Sick of watering your plants?
- This helpful sprinkler waters plants in a 5x5 area. Once turned on, it will run 24/7. It can be upgraded with Auto-Water so it will run between 4am and 7am, which is helpful as it starts an hour before the growth occurs, and ends an hour after.
- The best choice in traits for Gardening
- The Green Thumb trait increases the quality of plant produce and grants the "Talk To Plant" interaction, which fills the social motive of the Sim.
- The Loves the Outdoors trait will create a positive moodlet when a Sim possessing it is outdoors.
- The Eco-friendly trait will also create a positive moodlet when gardening.
- The Gatherer trait increases the quality of produce harvested from seeds the Sim plants.
- Search the neighborhood for better quality seeds to start with.
- Using high-quality fertilizer can shorten growth time to as few as 4 days from planting to harvesting.
- Plasma Fruit seed is the easiest unknown special seed to recognize, the seed has a red pulse on it.
- The Harvester tool in Ambitions speeds up the harvesting process.
- Unicorn's ability to bless flora can make plants grow up one level higher, up until they are harvestable.
- There is a glitch that prevents Sims from ordering omniplant seeds via mailbox normally after patch 1.17, this is because the Sim's action queue will be automatically dropped when they reach the mailbox. But there is a method for the Sim to bypass the glitch and order the omniplant seed via mailbox normally.
- All plants are immune from meteor impact and they will not be destroyed even if the meteor falls near them, their produce will be destroyed but it can be replaced for Simoleons.
- Replacing destroyed produce for Simoleons is useless because the produce will have 0 simoleon value and can't be planted anymore.
- Gardening skill is only used in Science career.
- There is a glitch with Gardening after installing The Sims 3: Supernatural. Sims will be unable to continue gardening because the Sim's action queue will be automatically dropped when doing any gardening option (watering plant, tend garden, etc.); after harvesting plants (most notably mushrooms) plants may remain in the state harvestable instead of going back to the mature/mycelium state without having any more produce, which results in them no longer producing any more produce and disrupting the gardening queue from any Sim trying to tend the garden, because he/she tries to harvest the bugged plant, which is impossible. Deleting the bugged plant via buy/build mode solves the problem. This bug only occurs if at least one Sim in your household was either moved there from a different neighborhood or has collectable items in his inventory, he/she gathered before the Supernatural patch.
- There is a glitch with mushroom collector challenge, this challenge will be reset to 0 if you move your sim to another city.
- Weeds only increase the time plants need to grow from one stage to the next (around doubled), they don't reduce the quality of the plant or the produce. So if you have the space in your garden, doubling the number of plants will yield the same amount of produce/time but will save your Sim the time required to weed the plants by only harvesting instead of tending the garden.
If the harvested produce is sold to a supermarket, it sells at a 10% higher value than if sold via an inventory hole.
- For more on fertilizer's effects, see Carl's Sims 3 Fertilizer Tests