The skill is augmented by the Green Thumb and Loves The Outdoors traits, and the Super Green Thumb lifetime reward. It involves (as with gardening in real life and the previous Sims games) the planting, growing and harvesting of various plants that Sims can find within the game. Unlike the previous Sims games, The Sims 3 gardening has been much expanded upon, introducing many real-life plants and several fictional species such as the 'Life Fruit', 'Flame Fruit', and 'Plasma Fruit'.
With the arrival of The Sims 3: World Adventures, the gardening skill has been expanded even further, now to include plums, pomegranates, pomelos (a fruit similar to Grapefruit) and cherries. As well as these key fruits, many new species of grape have been introduced, spanning from the average, normal grape to rarer types found within the destination of France. Although it was said several times by independent gaming websites, the sixteen new grapes that there were supposed to be have not all been included. So far six new types of grapes have been found.
Number Planted, Unique Plants Planted, Items Harvested, Perfect Items Harvested, Unknown Seeds Planted, Best Harvestable, Money Earned, Largest Money Bag Harvested.
A Master Planter must plant 19 types of plant that can be planted in the game. Once you have mastered the varieties you will be able to reduce weed growth significantly on future plants.
Botanical Bosses must harvest at least 75 Perfect fruits and vegetables. After so many Perfect harvastables, the plants of Botanical Bosses almost never die from neglect.
Master Farmers have harvested at least 650 fruits and vegetables. The plants of Master Farmers remain watered and fertilized longer, meaning their gardens are more efficient. And if you have a garden gnome he will come to life and water your garden.
|1||Able to water and plant, given seeds: Lettuce, Apple, Grape and Tomato|
|5||Plant Uncommon Seeds and Watermelons|
|6||Revive Plants (with Green Thumb trait)|
|7||Plant Rare and Special seeds, and money tree|
|8||Plant Cheese and Egg plant (via Skill Opportunities)|
|9||Plant Burger Patty and Steak Plant (via Skill Opportunities)|
|10||Plant Omni Plant seeds (via Skill Opportunities)|
Plants include things found around town, store bought produce that can be planted, seeds given from leveling up the gardening skill.
|Image||Plant||Rarity||Skill Level||Normal Value||Perfect Value||Source||Note|
|Apple Tree||Common||0||§4||§16||Store, Apple, Apple Seed||Eating apples in the earliest stage of pregnancy increases a Sim's chance of having a boy.|
|Grapevine||Common||0||§4||§16||Store, Grapes, Grape Seed||Key (mediocre) ingredient in Nectar.|
|Lettuce Plant||Common||0||§3||§12||Store, Lettuce, Lettuce Seed|
|Tomato Plant||Common||0||§3||§12||Store, Tomato, Tomato Seed|
|Lime Tree||Uncommon||5||§9||§36||Store, Lime, Unknown Uncommon Seed||Good plant for money making as they produce a lot of fruit at a reasonable rate for a lot of cash|
|Onion Plant||Uncommon||5||§7||§28||Store, Onion, Unknown Uncommon Seed|
|Potato Plant||Uncommon||5||§7||§28||Store, Potato, Unknown Uncommon Seed|
|Watermelon Vine||Uncommon||5||§9||§36||Store, Watermelon, Unknown Uncommon Seed||Eating Watermelon in the earliest stage of pregnancy increases a Sim's chance of having a girl.|
|Bell Pepper Plant||Rare||7||§12||§48||Store, Bell Pepper, Unknown Rare Seed|
|Death Flower Plant||Special||7||§0||§0||Death Flower, Unknown Special Seed, Science career opportunity, Graveyard, Fishing||Can allow a Sim who carries one in his/her inventory to placate the Grim Reaper.
Plant produces only 1 flower before dying. After being revived with Green Thumb trait, it will produce one more and then become permanently barren. (The chances of this Plant's success in being revived is 50/50).
|Flame Fruit Bush||Special||7||§18||§72||Flame Fruit, Unknown Special Seed, Catacombs exploring, Science career opportunity, Fishing||Fruit provides +5 mood (Cozy Fire) if kept in inventory. Certain fruits can be turned into flame fruits if your sim has the (hidden) Pyromaniac trait using the interaction Transmogrify.|
|Garlic Plant||Rare||7||§15||§60||Store, Garlic, Unknown Rare Seed||Inflicts 'Garlic Breath' moodlet on Sim when eaten (with no mood effect), however, other Sims gain the 'Disgusted' moodlet when using social interactions with them. Vampires get the "Knocked Out" moodlet when they eat garlic.|
|Life Plant||Special||7||§25||§100||Life Fruit, Unknown Special Seed, Science career opportunity, Gardening opportunity, Mining.||Increases a Sim's life span by one extra day per fruit eaten. Best plant Fertilizer. Starts life stage over if cooked with Deathfish to make Ambrosia. Life fruit is best used in cooking to expand life.|
|Money Tree Seed, Unknown Special Seed, Fishing, Criminal career opportunity||Produces Money Bags and cannot be replanted. If a full vacant square is next to it when it reaches "perfect" a seed (Normal quality) will drop. WARNING: If it dies, the tree will practically explode, leaving behind 3 hefty bills.|
|Cheese Plant||Special||8||§5||§20||Store, Cheese||Enabled through skill opportunity, after which you will be able to directly "plant" cheese.|
|Eggplant||Special||8||§7||§28||Store, Egg||Enabled through skill opportunity, after which you will be able to directly "plant" eggs.|
|Burger Patty Plant||Special||9||§16||§64||Store, Burger Patty||Enabled through skill opportunity, requires ability to plant Cheese/Eggplant|
|Steak Plant||Special||9||§20||§80||Store, Steak||Enabled through skill opportunity, requires ability to plant Cheese/Eggplant|
|Omni Plant||Special||10||Varies||Varies||Complete The Omnificent Plant Opportunity, Order seeds through mailbox||The Omni Plant has the ability to replicate any item it's fed. (Left click the plant, choose "Feed"). It can only be fed fish, books and food from the store etc. (It can be fed special fruits i.e. Life Fruit. As well as special fish i.e. Death Fish).|
|Cherimola Blan Grapes[TS3:WA]||Common||0||§4||§16||Champs Les Sims, France|
|Renoit Grapes[TS3:WA]||Common||0||§4||§16||Champs Les Sims, France|
|Avornalino Grapes[TS3:WA]||Uncommon||5||§7||§28||Adventure reward in Champs Les Sims, France, Secret Garden on Chateau du Landgraab|
|Meloire Grapes[TS3:WA]||Uncommon||5||§8||§32||Adventure reward in Champs Les Sims, France, Secret Garden on Chateau du Landgraab|
|Plum[TS3:WA]||Uncommon||5||§7||§28||Shang Simla, China|
|Pomegranate[TS3:WA]||Uncommon||5||§8||§32||Al Simhara, Egypt|
|Cherry[TS3:WA]||Rare||7||§12||§48||Al Simhara, Egypt and Shang Simla, China|
|Cranerlet Nuala Grapes[TS3:WA]||Rare||7||§13||§52||Adventure reward in Champs Les Sims, France, Secret Garden on Chateau du Landgraab|
|Gralladina Fran Grapes[TS3:WA]||Rare||7||§10||§40||Adventure reward in Champs Les Sims, France, Secret Garden on Chateau du Landgraab|
|Pomelo[TS3:WA]||Rare||7||§15||§60||Shang Simla, China|
|Plasma Fruit Bush[TS3:LN]||Rare||7||§18||Store, Plasma Fruit, Seed||Upon becoming a vampire, a sim receives 3 normal quality Plasma Fruits|
|File:Carrots.png||Carrot Plant[TS3:P]||Uncommon||5||§7||§28||Store, Carrot, Seed|
|Bananatree[TS3:ST]||Uncommon||7||§7||§28||Store, Banana, Seed|
If the harvested produce is sold to a supermarket, it sells at a 10% higher value than if sold via an inventory hole.
The sales values are modified as follows, rounded down:
- Normal: 100%
- Nice: 110%
- Very Nice: 150%
- Great: 200%
- Excellent: 250%
- Outstanding: 300%
- Perfect: 400%
Detailed Plant Information
Fertilizer is used to enhance the produce. The quality of the produce will increase as long as the fertilizer is applied.
|Image||Fertilizer||Grade||Time (Days)||Relative Potency|
The time is increased by 1 day for Great, Excellent, and Outstanding fertilizer, and 2 days for perfect fertilizer.
The quality of the fertilizer modifies its effectiveness. For qualities ranging from Horrifying (the lowest) to Very Nice inclusively, a multiplier is applied to the fertilizer's effectiveness or grade ranging from 0.6 to 1.2. This modifier increases by 0.1 with each successive level of quality the fertilizer gains. Starting from Very Nice up to Perfect, that is from 1.2 to 2.0, the modifier increases by increments of 0.2 with each improvement to the fertilizer's quality. The net result is that the worst possible quality (Horrifying) reduces the effectiveness of the fertilizer by 40%, a Normal quality fertilizer maintains it as it is (fertilizer x 1.0), and a Perfect fertilizer doubles the original efficiency (fertilizer x 2.0). The following table presents all the relevant data.
- Fertilizer modifiers based on its quality
Furthermore, having the Master Farmer challenge completed gives an additional 2 days of fertilized time to any plant.
- Dead vs Barren
- Dead plants can occur after you neglect any plants under 'Wilting' condition for one day. After that, your Sim will have to dispose or revive them (Green Thumb trait is required for reviving). Barren plants have the same appearance as dead plants, but they cannot be revived. Each plant will become barren after it reaches its maximum amount of produce.
- (Note: Money trees cannot be revived as they'll explode upon their death)
- Sick of watering your plants?
- This helpful sprinkler waters plants in a 5x5 area. Once turned on, it will run 24/7. It can be upgraded with Auto-Water so it will run between 4am and 7am, which is helpful as it starts an hour before the growth occurs, and ends an hour after.
- The best choice in traits for Gardening
- The Green Thumb trait allows the ability to "Talk To Plant"s, which will both increase the quality of plant produce and fill the social motive of the Sim.
- The Loves the Outdoors trait will create a positive moodlet when a Sim possessing it is outdoors.
- The Eco-friendly trait will also create a positive moodlet when gardening.
- Search the neighborhood for better quality seeds to start with.
- For faster growing use high-quality fertilizer which shortens harvesting time.
- Plasma Fruit seed is the easiest unknown special seed to recognize, the seed has a red pulse on it.
- The Harvester tool in Ambitions speeds up the harvesting process.
- Uncommonly Good
- Bring 20 Excellent Harvestables to the restaurant to receive the ability to plant Cheese and Eggs.
- Outstandingly Rare
- Bring 10 Excellent (or better) Cheeses to the Restaurant. The chef at the restaurant has upped the ante on your gardening abilities. You've been asked to bring in 10 homegrown Cheeses of Excellent quality. It's no simple task, but it is one that'll land you the ability to plant some meaty new items. Allows you to plant steak and hamburger patties.
- The Omnificent Plant
- Bring 10 Outstanding Steaks to the Restaurant. The chef at the restaurant has one final challenge for you to complete before granting you unlimited gardening power! You've been asked to bring in 10 homegrown Steaks of Outstanding quality. It's a nigh impossible order to fill, but you must find a way if you want the Omni Plant!
- Extreme Life Insurance
- [Friend] fears a visit from the grim reaper may come all too soon and would like a little... insurance. Grow a Death Flower and deliver it to [Friend] before it's too late. You'll be paid handsomely for this piece of insurance - a wise choice!
- Garlic Goodness
- The Restaurant is featuring a new all-garlic menu to keep up with the current garlic trend all over town. Unfortunately, everyone's eating so much garlic that the restaurant is running low! Grow 3 Very Nice (or better) bulbs of garlic and deliver them to the restaurant. They'll pay for your produce!
- Bad Apples
- Bring 10 bad quality apples to the restaurant for stew.
- Outstanding Tasting Ingredients
- [Friend] is trying to prepare a special recipe at home, but insists upon fresh homegrown ingredients. Unfortunately, [Friend] doesn't know how to garden! Grow 3 Outstanding fruits or vegetables for [Friend] and deliver them to earn some money!
- Absolutely Great Produce
- [Friend] is trying to prepare a special recipe at home, but insists upon fresh homegrown ingredients. Unfortunately, [Friend] doesn't know how to garden! Grow 3 Great fruits or vegetables for [Friend] and deliver them to earn some money!
- Don't Cry
- The chefs at the restaurant are crying because they just sliced their last onion! Their menu will suffer if more onions aren't supplied soon! You need to grow 3 Very Nice (or better) onions and deliver them to the restaurant. You'll be paid for your produce!
- Lettuce Help Out
- Locusts intercepted a lettuce shipment heading to the restaurant, which makes it impossible for them to toss their world-famous salads. The restaurant needs your Lettuce! You need to grow 3 Very Nice (or better) heads of lettuce and deliver them to the restaurant. You'll be paid for your produce!
- There's a regional grape shortage, so the restaurant is asking all local farmers to sell them their grapes until the crisis is resolved. You need to grow 3 Very Nice (or better) grapes and deliver them to the restaurant. You'll be paid for your produce!
- Fresh Taters
- Potatoes are all the rage currently, most likely due to their incredibly starchy contents. The restaurant is worried they'll run out and are paying local growers to bring in their surplus taters. You need to grow 3 Very Nice (or better) potatoes and deliver them to the restaurant.
- Stomping Grapes[TS3:WA]
- The Theatre is holding advanced Nectar making and appreciation classes and needs some of the finest Grapes available. They have asked you to bring 5 Excellent quality Renoit Grapes to the Theatre. Bring 5 Excellent quality (or better) Renoit Grapes to the Theatre to receive a payment (Simoleons).
- There is a glitch that prevents Sims from ordering omniplant seeds via mailbox normally after patch 1.17, this is because the Sim's action queue will be automatically dropped when they reach the mailbox. But there is a method for the Sim to bypass the glitch and order the omniplant seed via mailbox normally.
- All plants are immune from meteor impact and they will not be destroyed even if the meteor falls near them, their produce will be destroyed but it can be replaced for Simoleons.
- Replacing destroyed produce for Simoleons is useless because the produce will have 0 simoleon value and can't be planted anymore.
- Gardening skill is only used in Science career.
- For more on fertilizer's effects, see Carl's Sims 3 Fertilizer Tests