In The Sims: Livin' Large, the genie will give a Sim two choices for a wish upon being summoned. The player has no control over which choices are offered. These wishes will have ambiguous names such as "Air" and "Fire", which can obscure their outcomes. Wishes can go wrong, and almost always do; the genie in Livin' Large is not particularly adept.
A lamp can be cleaned once a day as long as it is on the lot. In addition, several wishes can be made in a day if each one is made from a different lamp.[n 1] The genie's ineptness is a way of balancing this.
|Fire||Comfort and Social maxed.||Object set on fire.|
|Water||Summons water fountain or hot tub||Causes flood.|
|Earth||All plants or flowers are healthy.||All plants or flowers die.|
|Air||Summons many pink flamingos.||Summons many cockroaches.|
|Work||Gain some skills.||Lose some skills.|
|Leisure||Summons random entertainment or recreational object.||Some Fun objects set on fire.|
|Money||Summons pot of gold.||Summons bills|
|Love||Gain a new love interest.||Lose relationship with someone.|
|Friends||Gain a new friend.||Lose a friend.|
|Family||Gain relationship with a family member.|| Lose relationship with a family member.|
If the Sim has no family, he or she will be scolded by the genie, but nothing else will happen.
- ↑ It may not be necessary to sell one lamp before buying another, but doing this will definitely allow another wish to be made.
Console games from The Sims EraEdit
The Sims Bustin Out GBA/NGEdit
If the player's Sim passes out in The Sims Bustin' Out, the genie will appear, laugh at the Sim, and Teleport them to the hospital.
The Urbz: Sims In The City GBA/DSEdit
The genie has same role as in The Sims Bustin' Out, and will return the Sim to the Bayou Twins shack if that Sim is on that quest. Otherwise, the Sim will be teleported to the Urbania Hospital.
The Sims 2EditThe genie reappeared in The Sims 2: FreeTime and is found in the Dusty Old Lamp. He has violet skin and wears a waistcoat. His full name in The Sims 2 is Genie Midlock, but when hovering the cursor on him, he will simply be identified as "Genie".
He can be summoned by children or older Sims in the household. Any child[n 1] or older Sim in the household can make a wish, even if a different Sim rubbed the lamp to summon him. However, he grants three wishes to the object – not per Sim. Wishes can go wrong, but generally do not. After the genie has been summoned once, the lamp can no longer be sold. However, the lamp can be given as a gift even after the genie has been summoned and wishes have been made. There is no time limit on the lamp; wishes can be made at any time until all three have been made.
Until three wishes have been made, he can be sent back into the lamp by selecting the Dismiss option, or he will go back on his own if he is not interacted with for a while. Once three wishes are made, he will state that Genie Law requires him to leave, and return to the lamp, which will then levitate and disappear. Sims in a household with a lamp may roll a 1,500 point want to make a wish.
Genie Midlock has a character file, but it is located in objects.package; the game treats him as an object, not a Sim. When out of the lamp. he will not initiate interactions with Sims, and cannot be interacted with in any way outside of his in-game function.
He has the Fortune aspiration. His zodiac sign is Cancer. It should be noted that when viewing his data in SimPE, his aspiration and sign will appear blank. This also happens with other universal NPCs. He uses the 2nd face template in Create a Sim.When viewing his Sim DNA in SimPE, his genetics are for black hair, brown eyes, and medium skin. He also has no personality, skills, or interests when his character data is viewed in SimPE.
Receiving the Dusty Old LampEdit
To be awarded the genie, one or more Sims in the household must have high enthusiasm in a hobby and high Lifetime Aspiration, which will summon the Gypsy Matchmaker to deliver the lamp. For each Sim with a Lifetime Aspiration level of 7 or higher, there is a 2% chance (per day) that the matchmaker will bring the lamp.[n 2] The Gypsy Matchmaker may eventually deliver the lamp even if it is meant to belong to a Sim's dormmates, roommate, neighbor in the same apartment, or even a visiting Sim.
As a rule, one Sim in a household that receives a lamp will receive a memory of finding it, though this does not always happen. The memory is not always received by a Sim with high Lifetime Aspiration and hobby enthusiasm; it may be received by a toddler, or even a baby.
While receiving the lamp at all is unlikely, receiving it is not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime event. A Sim who has moved out of a household that received a lamp may receive another one, even if he or she received the memory of finding the lamp. Also, a household that received a lamp more than 14 Sim days ago is eligible to receive another one.
After summoning the genie, there are six options to wish for:
- Give Me Wealth
- Success: Over time, money bags with a total value of §23,000 will fall from the sky. The order of the bags' value is §10,000; §7,000; §5,000; and §1,000. However, the household has a higher chance of getting a burglar over the next few days.
- Failure: No money falls from the sky, but the household still has a higher chance of getting a burglar over the next few days.
- To collect the money, click on a bag and select "Get Money!". The money in the bag will count toward the total amount the selected Sim has earned.
- Give Me Beauty
- Success: It acts as a love potion — the Sim is more attractive to others. The wisher's attraction points will be set to 100 for four days, which will give him or her strong chemistry with all Sims of the appropriate age(s) and gender. However, NPCs ring the Sim's doorbell at all times.
- Failure: NPCs will still ring the Sim's doorbell at all times.
- There is a mod at ModTheSims which will prevent them from coming by between 10 pm and 8 am.
- Do not attempt to move out Sims whose wish for beauty is still in effect. Doing so will cause the attraction boost to be permanent.
- Success: Resurrects a selected dead Sim or pet. As with the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, only Sims and pets the wisher is considered to know can be resurrected, and the resurrection may be imperfect.
- Failure: Resurrects a selected dead Sim, but as a zombie.
- Unlike the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, the wish will never completely fail to bring the Sim back in some manner, but the player has no control over which outcome will occur.
- Give Me A Long Life
- Success: Extends the Sim's life by 4 days.
- Failure: Shortens the Sim's life by 3 hours.
- Will not be available if the wisher is a young adult.
- This wish is available to children.
- Give Me Power To Cheat Death
- Success: This allows the Sim who made the wish to cheat death by pleading for his or her own life. At first, this will be successful. However, after each successful plea with the Grim Reaper, the chance of success is decreased by 10%. Note that pleading with Death while dying of old age will only prolong the Sim's life for another day.
- Failure: The Sim will be unable to plead for his or her own life.
- A Sim who successfully pleads for his or her own life will receive a special memory.
- There does not appear to be any immediate indication of whether the wish succeeded or failed. That may remain unknown until the Sim is in a position to plead for his or her own life.
- Give Me Peace of Mind
- Success: Gives the Sim permanent Platinum mood.
- Failure: Appliances, plumbing, and electronics will break all the time.
- This wish will not appear if the Sim has already achieved perma-platinum status.
- This wish is available to children.
- Sims who successfully make this wish will also be given credit for reaching the Lifetime Aspiration milestone of maximizing a business, even if they do not—or have never—owned one. They do not, however, receive the associated memory.[n 3]
- Give Me Youth (Hidden from play)
- Success: Adults and elders transition in reverse, and become teens. The game may "freeze" for several minutes while the transition is being processed, though this does not always happen.[n 4] The Sim will be placed back in public school, with a C grade. Extra want slots and locks gained from attending college will be removed. Any adult or elder job will be nullified, as will retirement, romantic relationships,[n 5] and any occult status.[n 6]
- Failure: If the wisher is an adult, they will become an elder. If they are an elder, it will be their time to die.
- Can only be unlocked by using a third-party mod.
- Will not be available if the wisher is a child, teen, young adult, or pregnant.
- ↑ Most wishes are unavailable to children, but they can wish for Peace of Mind and Long Life.
- ↑ In practice, the combination of Lifetime Aspiration and overall hobby enthusiasm appears to be what is relevant. Even if no Sims have a Lifetime Aspiration of at least 7, the matchmaker may deliver the lamp if Sims have high enthusiasm in one or more hobbies.
- ↑ A fix for this is available here.
- ↑ After an elder transitions, the "Grey hair" trait may still be set, even though the Sim's hair will no longer be grey. The player can check this by having the Sim use the "Change Appearance" option on a mirror. If the Sim is still flagged as having grey hair, grey hair will appear in the place of red hair, but no hair options will appear under it. If this happens, the player can correct it by selecting one of the other colors, then saving. If the player wants the Sim to have black, brown, or blond hair, nothing more needs to be done. To give the Sim red hair or custom hair, use the "Change Appearance" option again.
- ↑ If the Sim is married, a successful wish will unset the "Married" flag, but will not affect the relationships in the family tree. The two Sims will still consider one another to be family. However, if both halves of a married couple successfully wish for youth, and resume their romantic relationship as teens, the "Married" flag may be reset.
- ↑ Vampires, PlantSims, and witches will be cured. Werewolves will be cured, but will be unable to make the wish while transformed. The wish is unavailable to zombies, Servos, and Bigfoots.
The Sims 2 (console)Edit
Genie also appear in The Sims 2 for Console, though nothing usually happens when Sims interact with one. Also, when a Sim awakens a genie, all that will appear is the genie's head. Genies can be untrustworthy, and will sometimes trick Sims into giving them their money.
Good results of summoning the genie could be, raised motives, a plate of food, or money. If the genie has red smoke rising from the head, it is in a bad mood and can summon fires or burglars, decrease the Sim's mood, make the Sim wet themselves, and even strip the Sim of his/her clothes for a few seconds.
The genie's lamp needs to be unlocked to buy it. This is fulfilled by gaining a certain amount of aspiration points. When unlocked, it can be found under Misc. in buy mode.
The Sims 3Edit
The genie returns as both an NPC and a playable life state in The Sims 3: Showtime. Unlike genies in previous games, genies in Showtime can be male or female, and are mobile. Furthermore, Sims can now socialize and interact with them like regular Sims.
Obtaining the Dusty Old LampEdit
During a trip to the graveyard, there is a chance that a Sim will find the Dusty Old Lamp while exploring the catacombs. A Sim with the Lucky trait will have a better chance of finding the Dusty Old Lamp.
Sims who give a "legendary" stage performance or who travel through the dimensional gate on a PlasmaPunch Gyroscopic Conductor may also receive a Dusty Old Lamp. Alternatively, the Dusty Old Lamp can be purchased for 30,000 Lifetime Happiness points.
Before a genie is released, they will be able to grant wishes to Sims. As in The Sims 2: FreeTime, any household member can make a wish, but unlike FreeTime, Sims can only make one wish every 12 hours, as genies need to rest for several hours after each wish. Furthermore, every wish will be successful; there is no longer such a thing as a backfiring wish. Another difference from The Sims 2: FreeTime is that only the Sim who rubs the lamp can make a wish from the genie. To allow another Sim to make a wish, have the genie return to the lamp, and get that particular Sim to rub the lamp.
These are the wishes that Sims may make:
|World Peace (World Misery if Sim is Evil)||Sim gains the Peaceful moodlet (+25) for 72 hours and the hidden trait "World Peace". Evil Sims get the Miserable moodlet and the hidden trait "World Misery".||No|
|Resurrect Sim||Resurrects a dead Sim or Pet from an urn or tombstone on the lot.||Yes|
|More wishes||In most cases, gives Sim only one extra wish. (5% chance of getting two extra wishes)||Yes|
|Love||Selected Sim instantly falls in love with Sim; Sim gets the "Enchanted Love" moodlet (+10) for 24 hours.||Yes|
|Gives a genetic hidden trait that will make them live twice as long (affects all life stages).||No|
|Sim gains the neutral moodlet "Feeling Fertile", which lasts until he or she tries for a baby. The attempt will automatically result in triplets.||Yes|
|Happiness||Sim gains the "Eternal Joy" moodlet (+25), which is permanent.||No|
|Fortune||Adds §100,000 to household funds.||Yes|
|Beauty||Gives Sim a better chance to execute Romantic Interactions successfully.||No|
|Sim must have a high relationship with the genie to make this wish, and will need to complete three steps to successfully free the genie. Releasing the genie from its lamp will make it a controllable member of the household.||No|
Releasing The GenieEdit
A high relationship with the genie is needed to release them. A Sim who wishes to free the genie must complete 3 different opportunities:
- Put the lamp in the fridge to "freeze the lamp".
- Put it in the oven to "heat the lamp".
- Go explore the catacombs at the graveyard with the lamp.
Summon the genie one more time, and they are released from the lamp forever. The genie will join the Sim's household and can be controlled by the player.
If nothing happens when this wish is selected, make sure the Sim making it has the "Special Opportunity" slot available.
After a genie is released, he or she will no longer be able to grant wishes to Sims. However, they still have the following magical abilities:
- Magically clean Sim - Boosts a Sim's hygiene to maximum and grants a +20 "Magically Spotlessly Clean" moodlet for 30 minutes. Does not wake sleeping Sims, has unlimited range, can target any life stage and significantly increases relationship with the target Sim.
- Make house spotless and sparkly - Cleans the entire lot after a 2-second warm-up, and temporarily adds a sparkling effect to the inside of the house. Cleaning does not extend to toys and beds and only works indoors.
- A wish to use this ability is a frequent occurrence when something is affected by it.
- Summon food - Summons perfect quality food. Almost all types of food may be summoned, with the exception of Ambrosia.
- Banish Sim - Removes an unwanted visitor from the lot. This will significantly decrease the relationship between the genie and the other Sim.
- Ensorcel Sim - Mind controls a Sim for 4 hours. The Ensorcelled Sim will get the Ensorcelled moodlet for 4 hours, and their PlumbBob will glow purple. The moodlet has no positive or negative effects, and is cast on Sims outside the active family. "Mind control" simply means that the target Sim is temporarily added to the active family, with no autonomy. Hence, this cannot be used to have more than 8 active Sims in the household.
- Release Sim from Ensorcelment - Releases Sim from Ensorcel.
- Tip: The inventory of an Ensorcelled Sim can be accessed. This allows the player to remove items from that Sim's inventory, and these items can be sold. This even extends to the Ensorcelled Sim's car, if that Sim has one.
Genies in The Sims 3: Showtime also have approximately twice the lifespan of a regular Sim, and their needs are a light purple color. Genies also float instead of running when ordered to travel some distance not reachable by car.
After the genie is released, it is possible to marry the genie and even try for baby with them. The children of a genie will not be able to grant wishes. However, there is a 50/50 chance that the offspring of a normal Sim and a genie will have genie abilities, which will appear when he or she reaches the child stage. While genies have an extended lifespan, this does not affect the length of any life stages prior to Young Adult.
- All genies come with two hidden traits, Genie and Immune to Fire.
- Sims can only gain the hidden traits World Peace or World Misery by making a wish for them.
- The Dusty Old Lamp is not available through the buydebug cheat.
- Genies cannot use Ensorcel Sim on other genies and certain NPCs.
- Genies that die will retain their powers as genie ghosts.
- Genies also learn skills more quickly, just like vampires do at night.
- Genies cannot become vampires, nor can vampires drink from them as they have no plasma.
- When the genie returns to their lamp, items from their inventory are placed in the inventory of the Sim owning the lamp. Players can exploit this by starting a jam session and asking the genie to join, thus creating a drumset or a bass in the genie's inventory, which will be transferred to the Sim holding the lamp once the genie returns to it.
- There is a glitch with genies after installing Supernatural. Genies will lose their hidden trait and abilities if they move to another city, though they will still retain their blue skin and signature outfit.
- When using the "Ensorcel" ability on Sims from another household, the game will force them to become homeless, and will move them out of their own household.
- Genies cannot get a spray tan.[TS3:S]
- Genies cannot get soaked from diving off a dive well[TS3:WA], prank[TS3:G], or rain[TS3:S].
- When switching a Sim's occult state to genie in CAS, their skin will automatically be changed to a blue skin tone. It will not change back to the previous skin tone if they are when switching the occult out of genie.[clarification needed]
- There is a glitch which will allow the wishes to be reset to three wishes again. With the lamp in a Sim's inventory, moving the household with Edit Town mode will cause the genie lamp to be reset to three wishes being available. However, the genie that comes out of the lamp will be a different genie. This also happens when Sims travel abroad or through time with The Sims 3: World Adventures, The Sims 3: University Life, or The Sims 3: Into the Future. It should be noted that the genie lamp cannot be used while on vacation. It should also be noted that if a Sim wished for happiness, their Eternal Joy moodlet will be removed when their household is moved, as all Sims in the household will be reset to having no moodlets. The Sim will not be able to wish for happiness again.
The Sims MedievalEdit
Genies only appear in one quest, The Genie Lamp, which can be completed in two ways, the Monarch way (which involves finding the lamp and getting rid of it) and the Wizard way, which involves freeing the genie. Freeing the genie from the lamp will give the wizard the combination for the "Beacon of Hope" hidden spell and a mildly-powerful staff.
Genies are powerful wizards who were captured and enslaved in the lamp. They will often not give the right wish for fun, for example, people asking for a handsome suitor may get a person who makes suits.
If they are removed from the lamp incorrectly, they will destroy a large area around them.
- ↑ Beauty Wish Sanity fix by Cyjon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=405855
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 http://simsvip.com/?page_id=7472
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/showtime/genies.php