The Sims EditIn The Sims: Livin' Large, the Genie will give a Sim two choices for a wish upon being summoned, and these wishes can have good or bad consequences. Once the lamp has been cleaned, it cannot be cleaned again for the rest of the day, but it can be cleaned once a day for as long as it is on the lot. To get around this limitation, the player can sell a lamp after a wish has been made (but not for full price) and buy a new one, after which a Sim can immediately make another wish. In practice, however, the lamp may prove to be less useful than it sounds on paper, as in The Sims the Genie is not particularly adept and wishes almost always go wrong. Furthermore, many of the wishes offered by the Genie will have ambiguous names such as "Air" and "Fire", sometimes rendering it difficult for the player to identify what they are wishing for in the first place.
|Fire||Comfort and Social maxed.||Object set on fire.|
|Water||Summons water fountain or hot tub||Causes flood.|
|Earth||All plants or flowers are healthy.||All plants or flowers die.|
|Air||Summons many pink flamingos.||Summons many cockroaches.|
|Work||Gain some skills.||Lose some skills.|
|Leisure||Summons random entertainment or recreational object.||Some Fun objects set on fire.|
|Money||Summons pot of gold.||Summons many bills.|
|Love||Gain a new love interest.||Lose relationship with someone.|
|Friends||Gain a new friend.||Lose a friend.|
|Family||Gain relationship with a family member.|| Lose relationship with a family member.|
If the Sim has no family, he or she will be scolded by the Genie, but nothing else will happen.
Console games from The Sims EraEdit
The Sims Bustin Out GBA/NGEdit
In The Sims Bustin' Out for the portables, the genie has a small role. If the player's Sim passes out, the genie will appear, point and laugh at the Sim, and Teleport him or you to the hospital.
The Urbz: Sims In The City GBA/DSEdit
The Genie returns again in the portable version of The Urbz: Sims in the City, having the exact same role as The Sims Bustin' Out. However, this time the Sim will be teleported to two places. If the player is in the Bayou Quest Line, the Sim will be teleported to the Bayou Twins Shack. Otherwise, the Sim will be teleported to the Urbania Hospital.
The Sims 2 EditThe Genie reappeared in The Sims 2: Freetime and is found in the Dusty Old Lamp. He has violet skin and wears a waistcoat. His full name in The Sims 2 is Genie Midlock.
He can be summoned by any teen or older Sim in the household, regardless of who received the memory of having found the lamp, and regardless of who summoned him first. Any teen or older Sim in the household can make a wish, even if a different Sim rubbed the lamp to summon him. However, he grants three wishes to the object -- not per Sim.
Until three wishes have been made, he can be sent back into the lamp by selecting the Dismiss option, or he will go back on his own if he is not interacted with for a while. After all three wishes are made, he will return to the lamp and disappear, stating that this is required by Genie Law. The Genie can grant wishes for money, or even to resurrect dead Sims.
To be awarded the Genie, one or more Sims in the household must have enthusiasm in a hobby and high Lifetime Aspiration, which will summon the Gypsy Matchmaker to deliver the lamp. However, the chance of getting the lamp is small. There is a 2% chance (per day) the matchmaker will bring the lamp for each Sim with a 7 or higher in their Lifetime Aspiration (so if two Sims had that score, the chance would be 4%). The chance will be even higher for Sims who live in a dorm or apartment, because there are multiple Sims living in the same lot. The Gypsy Matchmaker may eventually deliver the lamp even if it is meant to belong to a Sim's dormmates, roommate, neighbor in the same apartment, or even a visiting Sim!
Before the lamp is rubbed to summon the Genie, it can be sold for money, even though a successful wish for wealth will grant more money than selling it. After the Genie has been summoned once, the lamp can no longer be sold.
After summoning the Genie, there are six options to wish for:
- Give Me Wealth
- Success: Over time, money bags with a total value of §23,000 will fall from the sky. The order of the bags' value is §10,000; §7,000; §5,000; and §1,000. However, the household has a higher chance of getting a burglar over the next few days.
- Failure: No money falls from the sky, but the household still has a higher chance of getting a burglar over the next few days.
- Give Me Beauty
- Success: It acts as a love potion — the Sim is more attractive to others. The wisher's attraction points will be set to 100, which will give him or her strong chemistry with all Sims of the appropriate age(s) and gender. However, NPCs ring the Sim's doorbell at all times.
- Failure: NPCs will still ring the Sim's doorbell at all times.
- There is a mod at ModTheSims which will prevent them from coming by between 10 pm and 8 am.
- Success: Resurrects a selected dead Sim or pet. As with the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, only Sims and pets the wisher is considered to know can be resurrected, and the resurrection may be imperfect.
- Failure: Resurrects a selected dead Sim, but as a zombie.
- Unlike the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, the wish will never completely fail to bring the Sim back in some manner, but the player has no control over which outcome will occur.
- Give Me A Long Life
- Success: Extends the Sim's life by 4 days.
- Failure: Shortens the Sim's life by 3 hours.
- Will not be available if the wisher is a young adult.
- Give Me Power To Cheat Death
- Success: This allows the Sim who made the wish to cheat death by pleading for his or her own life. At first, this will be successful. However, after each successful plea with the Grim Reaper, the chance of success is decreased by 10%. Note that pleading with Death while dying of old age will only prolong the Sim's life for another day.
- Failure: The Sim will be unable to plead for his or her own life.
- There does not appear to be any immediate indication of whether the wish succeeded or failed. That may remain unknown until the Sim is in a position to plead for his or her own life.
- Give Me Peace of Mind
- Success: Gives the Sim permanent Platinum mood.
- Failure: Appliances, plumbing, and electronics will break all the time.
- Give Me Youth (Hidden from play)
- Success: Adults and elders transition in reverse, and become teens. The game may "freeze" for several minutes while the transition is being processed, though this does not always happen.[n 1] The Sim will be placed back in public school, with a C grade. Extra want slots and locks gained from attending college will be removed. Any adult or elder job will be nullified, as will retirement, romantic relationships[n 2], and any occult status.[n 3]
- Failure: If the wisher is an adult, they will become an elder. If they are an elder, it will be their time to die.
- Can only be unlocked by using a third-party mod.
- Will not be available if the wisher is a teen, young adult, or pregnant.
- ↑ After an elder transitions, the "Grey hair" trait may still be set, even though the Sim's hair will no longer be grey. The player can check this by having the Sim use the "Change Appearance" option on a mirror. If the Sim is still flagged as having grey hair, grey hair will appear in the place of red hair, but no hair options will appear under it. If this happens, the player can correct it by selecting one of the other colors, then saving. If the player wants the Sim to have black, brown, or blond hair, nothing more needs to be done. To give the Sim red hair or custom hair, use the "Change Appearance" option again.
- ↑ If the Sim is married, a successful wish will unset the "Married" flag, but will not affect the relationships in the family tree. The two Sims will still consider one another to be family. However, if both halves of a married couple successfully wish for youth, and resume their romantic relationship as teens, the "Married" flag may be reset.
- ↑ Vampires, PlantSims, and witches will be cured. Werewolves will be cured, but will be unable to make the wish while transformed. The wish is unavailable to zombies, Servos, and Bigfoots.
The Sims 2 (console) Edit
Genie also appear in The Sims 2 for Console, though nothing usually happens when Sims interact with one. Also, when a Sim awakens a Genie, all that will appear is the Genie's head. Genies can be untrustworthy, and will sometimes trick Sims into giving them their money. Good results of summoning the genie could be, raised motives, a plate of food, or money. If the Genie has red smoke rising from the head, it is in a bad mood and can summon fires or burglars, decrease the Sim's mood, make the Sim wet themself, and even strip the Sim of his/her clothes for a few seconds.
The Genie's lamp needs to be unlocked to buy it. This is fulfilled by gaining a certain amount of Aspiration points. When unlocked, it can be found under Misc. in buy mode.
The Sims 3 Edit
The Genie returns as both an NPC and a playable life state in The Sims 3: Showtime. Unlike Genies in previous games, Genies in Showtime can be male or female, and are mobile. Furthermore, Sims can now socialize and interact with them like regular Sims.
Genies can be summoned by rubbing the Dusty Old Lamp, and will grant three wishes per lamp. After all wishes have been made, the lamp will remain and the Genie can still be summoned from it as an NPC companion.
Obtaining the Dusty Old LampEdit
During a trip to the graveyard, there is a chance that a Sim will find the Dusty Old Lamp while exploring the catacombs. A Sim with the Lucky trait will have a better chance of finding the Dusty Old Lamp.
Sims who give a "legendary" stage performance or who travel through the dimensional gate on a PlasmaPunch Gyroscopic Conductor may also receive a Dusty Old Lamp.. Alternatively, the Dusty Old Lamp can be purchased for 30,000 Lifetime Happiness points.
Before a Genie is released, they will be able to grant wishes to Sims. As in The Sims 2: FreeTime, any household member can make a wish, but unlike FreeTime, Sims can only make one wish every 12 hours, as Genies need to rest for several hours after each wish. Furthermore, every wish will be successful; there is no longer such a thing as a backfiring wish. Another difference from The Sims 2: FreeTime is that only the Sim who rubs the lamp can make a wish from the Genie. To allow another Sim to make a wish, have the Genie return to the lamp, and get that particular Sim to rub the lamp.
These are the wishes that Sims may make:
|World Peace (World Misery if Sim is Evil)||Sim gains the Peaceful moodlet (+25) for 72 hours and the hidden trait "World Peace". Evil Sims get the Miserable moodlet and the hidden trait "World Misery".||No|
|Resurrect Sim||Resurrects a dead Sim or Pet from an urn or tombstone on the lot.||Yes|
|More wishes||In most cases, gives Sim only one extra wish. (5% chance of getting two extra wishes)||Yes|
|Love||Selected Sim instantly falls in love with Sim; Sim gets the "Enchanted Love" moodlet (+10) for 24 hours.||Yes|
|Increases Sim's lifespan by 20 days.||No|
|Sim gains the neutral moodlet "Feeling Fertile", which lasts until he or she tries for a baby. The attempt will automatically result in triplets.||Yes|
|Happiness||Sim gains the "Eternal Joy" moodlet (+25), which is permanent.||No|
|Fortune||Adds §100,000 to household funds.||Yes|
|Beauty||Gives Sim a better chance to execute Romantic Interactions successfully.||No|
|Sim must have a high relationship with the Genie to make this wish, and will need to complete a number of steps to successfully free the Genie. Releasing the Genie from its lamp will make it a controllable member of the household.||No|
Releasing The GenieEdit
A high relationship with the Genie is needed to release them. A Sim who wishes to free the Genie must complete 3 different opportunities:
- Put the lamp in the fridge to “freeze the lamp”.
- Put it in the oven to “heat the lamp”.
- Go explore the catacombs at the graveyard with the lamp.
Summon the Genie one more time, and they are released from the lamp forever. The Genie will join the Sim's household and can be controlled by the player.
If nothing happens when this wish is selected, make sure the Sim making it has the "Special Opportunity" slot available.
After a Genie is released, he or she will no longer be able to grant wishes to Sims. However, they still have the following magical abilities:
- Magically clean Sim - Boosts a Sim's hygiene to maximum.
- Make house spotless and sparkly - Instantly cleans the entire lot, and temporarily adds a sparkling effect to the inside of the house.
- Summon food - Summons perfect quality food. Almost all types of food may be summoned, with the exception of Ambrosia.
- Banish Sim - Removes an unwanted visitor from the lot.
- Ensorcel Sim - Mind controls a Sim for 4 hours. The Ensorcelled Sim will get the Ensorcelled moodlet for 4 hours, and their PlumbBob will glow purple. The moodlet has no positive or negative effects, and is cast on Sims outside the active family. "Mind control" simply means that the target Sim is temporarily added to the active family, with no autonomy. Hence, this cannot be used to have more than 8 active Sims in the household.
- Release Sim from Ensorcelment - Releases Sim from Ensorcel.
- Tip: The inventory of an Ensorcelled Sim can be accessed. This allows the player to remove items from that Sim's inventory, and these items can be sold. This even extends to the Ensorcelled Sim's car, if he or she has one.
Genies in The Sims 3: Showtime also have approximately twice the lifespan of a regular Sim, and their needs are a light purple color. Genies also float instead of running when ordered to travel some distance not reachable by car.
After the Genie is released, it is possible to marry the Genie and even Try for Baby with them. The children of a Genie will not be able to grant wishes. However, there is a 50/50 chance that the offspring of a normal Sim and a Genie will have Genie abilities, which will appear when he or she reaches the child stage. While Genies have an extended lifespan, this does not affect the length of any life stages prior to Young Adult.
- All Genies come with two hidden traits, Genie and Immune to Fire.
- Sims can only gain the hidden traits World Peace or World Misery by making a wish for them.
- The Dusty Old Lamp is not available through the buydebug cheat.
- Genies cannot use Ensorcel Sim on other Genies and certain NPCs.
- Genies that die will retain their powers as Genie ghosts.
- Genies also learn skills more quickly, just like vampires do at night.
- Genies cannot become vampires, nor can vampires drink from them as they have no plasma.
- When the Genie returns to their lamp, items from their inventory are placed in the inventory of the Sim owning the lamp. Players can exploit this by starting a jam session and asking the genie to join, thus creating a drumset or a bass in the genies inventory, which will be transferred to the Sim holding the lamp once the Genie returns to it.
- There is a glitch with Genies after installing Supernatural. Genies will lose their hidden trait and abilities if they move to another city, though they will still retain their blue skin and signature outfit.
- When using the "Ensorcel" ability on Sims from another household, the game will force them to become homeless, and will move them out of their own household.
- Genies cannot get a spray tan.[TS3:S]
- Genies cannot get soaked from diving off a dive well[TS3:WA], prank[TS3:G], or rain[TS3:S].
The Sims MedievalEdit
Genies only appear in one quest, The Genie Lamp, which can be completed in two ways, the Monarch way (which involves finding the lamp and getting rid of it) and the Wizard way, which involves freeing the genie. Freeing the genie from the lamp will give the wizard the combination for the "Beacon of Hope" hidden spell a midly-powerful staff.
Genies are powerful Wizards who were captured and enslaved in the lamp. They will often not give the right wish for fun, for example, people asking for a handsome suitor may get a person who makes suits.
If they are removed from the lamp incorrectly, they will destroy a large area around them.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=405855
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 http://simsvip.com/?page_id=7472
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/showtime/genies.php