An urn or gravestone appears on the lot when a Sim dies. An urn can be placed on the floor or on tables and counters. A gravestone can be placed on the ground outside. In The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3, whether a grave appears as an urn or a gravestone will depend on whether it is inside or outside; an urn will become a gravestone if it is moved outside, and a gravestone will become an urn if it is moved inside. Sims can "Mourn" over graves or urns. Beginning with The Sims 2: Nightlife, they can be moved to a community lot.
Graves cannot be placed on community lots. "The Gothic Quarter" in Old Town, and "Vernon's Vault" and "A Spooktacular Spot" in Magic Town all contain gravestones, but they are simply decorative and are not linked to any Sim's ghost.
The Sims 2Edit
If a Sim had platinum aspiration when he/she died of old age, a gold gravestone/urn will appear with the dead Sim's aspiration symbol on it. Otherwise, the Sim will get the average, gray gravestone/urn.
If Nightlife or later is installed, players have the options to click on an urn or gravestone and select "Move grave(s)". This moves the grave to a community lot of the player's choice, where it will appear near the telephone. When this is done, the shade of the Sim will appear and wave goodbye, then the grave will disappear, and the player will be notified that the Sim has died on another lot and will return in spirit to the place of their death. It appears that this may refresh the tendency of family members to cry over the death, even if that had largely passed. Another way to move a grave is to place the urn or gravestone in a Sim's inventory, and send that Sim to a community lot. If player clicks on the ground and selects "Place NAME's Grave Here", the Sim will go to that spot, and the grave will appear there. Regardless of which method is used, the player will be able to select that lot from the neighborhood view, and use the hand tool in Buy or Build mode to place the graves where they wish.
In The Sims 2: Pets, pets get gravestones/urns that are marked with a pawprint, and the owner(s) of the pet will get a special memory. A pet's urn is gray, and a pet's gravestone is brownish.
Gravestones and urns can be deleted in Buy Mode. However, this unlinks and "shreds" the Sim's character file. At the least, this will make the Sim unresurrectable, and it may cause neighborhood corruption. It is not recommended to delete gravestones or urns unless the nounlinkondelete mod from More Awesome Than You is installed. Also, players should not bin or bulldoze lots that have gravestones or urns, or allow Sims to die with gravestones or urns in their inventory.
The Sims 3Edit
In The Sims 3, there are at least 3 different types of gravestones; a flat plaque-like one, a gray one that's similar to the ones in The Sims 2, and a tall obelisk-type one. A Sim can obtain these different gravestones by:
- Dying before earning 75,000 lifetime happiness points.
Medium Gravestone w/ Plaque
- Dying after earning 75,000 - 149,999 lifetime happiness points.
Large Gravestone w/ Plaque engraved
- Dying and earning +150,000 lifetime happiness points.
Note: The gravestone a Sim receives following their death is based on the total lifetime happiness points that Sim has received overall, not the number of points that are available when the Sim dies. This means that points spent on lifetime rewards do not affect this number. To see the total number of lifetime happiness points a Sim has earned, hover the cursor over the chest icon in the Lifetime Rewards panel.
A gravestone will have a plaque which shows the cause of the Sim's death:
- In The Sims 3, when a Sim dies, the player has the option of whether to keep the grave on the Sim's home lot or to put it into a cemetery.
- In The Sims 3, having a playable ghost with the same name appearing on another gravestone may cause the "Return to Netherworld" option to appear if the player clicks on it, even if the gravestone doesn't belong to the ghost.
- The player can get gravestones and urns with buydebug cheat on known as "Remains", however, they will not contain ghosts.[TS3]
- In The Sims 3: Showtime, when a Sim dies by magic, the gravestone has a plaque implying the Sim died by fire prior to patch 38, where it is changed to two crossed shovels. This is also the default for remains (graves without ghosts); however, it can be changed by using cheats.
- In The Sims 3: Island Paradise, when a Sim dies by running out of air, the gravestone has a plaque implying the Sim died by drowning.
- In The Sims 3: Ambitions, when a SimBot dies in any way, the plaque on the gravestone will be a SimBot's hand holding up an hourglass.
- In The Sims 3: Into the Future, Sims who die in Oasis Landing will get a futuristic holographic gravestone. The plaque of death by shark attack and dehydration from Island Paradise erroneously has the plaque of death by old age.
- In The Sims 3: Into the Future, plumbots have their own gravestone and urn. The gravestone has a holographic plaque of spinning gears.