pets featured in the PC/Mac version of The Sims 3: Pets. They are not available in the console versions of The Sims 3: Pets. While custom content creators have made horses for The Sims and The Sims 2, this is the first time the animals have been included in an expansion pack.
Horses have six motives:
- Hunger: satisfied by eating hay, licking a salt lick, eating a seed or piece of produce, or grazing
- Training (Exercise)
- Thirst (except foals)
- Bladder 
Horses can learn two skills, Jumping and Racing. Horses can enter into riding competitions. If the horse and the Sim win the competition, they get simoleons and a trophy which can't be sold. A Sim with the Riding skill can use horses as transport, although horses are free to push or kick Sims out of their grip.
Wild horses appear in herds in home neighborhoods, but not in exotic destinations such as Champs Les Sims. They can be seen galloping around Appaloosa Plains and usually about 4-5 wild horses in a herd. They are very easy to find if you are smart in where you look. Wild horses can usually be found near fishing spots, perhaps because of the water.
In order to adopt a wild horse, a Sim must have at least a level 8 of the horseback riding skill. Wild horses are skittish and will sometimes run away if a Sim comes too close. To gain trust and relationship, Sims need to pet, offer treats, and feed produce to the horse. Once the relationship is high enough, the option to add the horse to the Sim's household should appear. When a wild horse is adopted, it will take up a space in the Sim's family. Wild horses can mate with other horses to produce foals. Sims can also ride wild horses, if they have a very strong relationship with it. It is also possible to obtain a wild horse by using testingcheatsenabled to make the horse selectable.
- The new town that was shipped with Pets, Appaloosa Plains, is named after a horse breed.
- The horse is the biggest playable animal, for now, featured in The Sims Series.
- Wild horses can be befriended. It's easier to befriend them if the Sim has a high Wildlife hidden skill.
- Horses are free to befriend dogs and cats, every type of relationship is possible, except romantic.
- Horses are the first non-"human" Sims to have their own occult status, appearing also as unicorns. Horses and unicorns can breed together, with a chance of the offspring also being a unicorn.
- Horses and unicorns, whether they are wild or part of the active household, will eat most gardening plants (which causes the plants to be destroyed). There doesn't seem to be any way to discourage or remove this behavior, so the best way to combat it is to keep plants in a fenced-off area with a single tile gate (which horses are unable to go through).
- If the foal is separated from its mother in different rooms, both of them will panic and become unhappy. Try keeping the foal and its mother not too far from each other.