Whenever a Sim is standing in an open area, there is a very small chance a meteor will fall directly on top of them. Whenever a meteor is about to fall on top of a Sim, a large shadow will appear around them and ominous music will play. A message will appear stating that the target Sim is wondering why it suddenly got dark. All Sims on the lot will run outside to look up curiously at the sky, and the meteor can be seen if the camera view is in the right position at the exact moment it falls. Also, if the player zooms out at the right time, the meteor can be seen streaking across the sky. When a meteor hits, a mushroom cloud appears. The player has plenty of time to move the Sim out of harm's way, but if they do nothing the meteor will crush the Sim. Using a telescope outside increases the chances of getting hit by a meteor.
The impact of a meteor also creates fires and Sims standing near enough will get singed. The ground will be littered with scrap metal and space rocks.
A meteor can also hit buildings. Sims will automatically leave the building if a meteor is approaching. Those who do not exit the building in time will die.
Meteors never fall directly on children, though they may still get crushed if they stand close enough to the impact zone of a meteor aiming for a larger adult Sim.
The ghost color is orange with small hint of black with smoke rising from it and thus different than if the ghost died from fire. The tombstone depicts a meteor.
The only types of Sims who cannot die in this way are aliens, ghosts (playable or non-playable), babies and toddlers.
Surviving A Meteor Attack Edit
- Upon receiving the meteor notification pay attention immediately. Do not delay.
- Determine if one of your sims are at risk. The notification should mention which sim is at risk.
- Move your sim out of the meteor shadow immediately. You should move him or her well away from the shadow.
- If your sim is in a rabbithole, get him or her out and away from the shadow.
- If an NPC is at risk, try using the resetsim [name] cheat to move him or her.
- Keep your sim out of the meteor shadow after moving him or her.
- Watch out for fires after the meteor attacks.
One of the Karma powers on The Sims 3: Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 includes the ability to conjure firestorm that will "Drop fireballs onto a location to cause destruction and mayhem.". The Pets version in the consoles also includes a few new karma powers, with one called "Meteor Strike" that summons a meteor to fall from the sky and crash onto the lot.
- If The Sims 3: Pets is installed, pets can be hit by a meteor, and cats stalking prey have a larger chance of being hit by a meteor.
- While meteors are extremely unlikely to kill Sims that are not controlled by the player, should the player controlled Sim be shadowed by a meteor while in close proximity to NPC Sims, the NPC Sims then become impossible to save because they will stand inside the shadow and look up until the meteorite impacts. Multiple NPC Sims can be killed in this manner.
- In rare cases, a Sim currently inside a rabbithole can become the meteor's target. In this instance, all Sims inside that rabbithole are at risk.
- SimBots can be killed by meteors, and inventing increases the chance of being hit by a meteor.
- If The Sims 3: Into the Future is installed, meteor showers will appear in dystopian Oasis Landing.