A Midlife crisis is an event that occurs in The Sims 3: Generations, triggered when a Young adult Sim transitions to an Adult Sim, and is shown by a moodlet which lasts 7 days. This event doesn't affect every Sim that becomes an adult.
Before a midlife crisisEdit
This point system determines whether or not your Sim will experience a Midlife crisis. If your Sim experiences enough of these following events for the combined points to equal 1, he or she will experience a Midlife crisis.
- Low career level or unemployment adds 0.2 points
- Getting married early adds 0.1 points
- Never getting married adds 0.1 points
- Having children early adds 0.1 points
- Having skills at level 1 adds 0.1 points
- If the Sim never moved houses, it adds 0.1 points
- For every breakup, 0.05 points are added
- For every divorce, 0.1 points are added
- For every death experienced, 0.2 points are added
- Having a relationship below the midline (in the red) adds 0.2 points
- Having the Ambitious or Commitment Issues traits each add 0.1 points
'Early' means at the beginning of the young adult life stage. Any time after that and the amount of points added are less.
During a midlife crisisEdit
These are the moodlets that a Sim will experience when going through a Midlife crisis:
Midlife crisis wishesEdit
Once or twice a day, Sims will get a midlife crisis wish. The wishes look the same as regular wishes, but they have a red starburst background. Players may or may not promise these wishes. Be wary that once the players promise a midlife crisis wish to the Sims, it cannot be cancelled, and will disappear after the midlife crisis is over. Moreover, when a midlife crisis wish has been promised, the midlife crisis moodlet will turn negative until the wish is fulfilled. Wishes may vary from extreme to basic, but some will include getting a divorce, quitting work or moving house.
Having more than one midlife crisis wish promised at the same time does not decrease the negative mood effect of the moodlet.
Once Sim's Midlife crisis is over, they will get a moodlet depending on how many wishes were fulfilled.
Avoiding Midlife CrisisEdit
There are currently two known ways to avoid experiencing a Midlife crisis.
- Make sure the Sim has less than 1 point from the point system.
- Sims can also go to the hospital to "Get Therapy" to cure the crisis. The payment in order to be cured is §2,000.