The Crumplebottoms from The Sims: Hot Date and The Sims 2 Nightlife are not actually the same Sims, but distant relatives. It has been revealed that Agnes Crumplebottom was Miss Crumplebottom from The Sims: Hot Date.
Mrs. Crumplebottom is a very old-fashioned, stern, and strict woman who appears to abide by a moral code from the Victorian Era. She detests when two Sims have any romantic interactions in public. When Mrs. Crumplebottom sees any of these actions taking place on a community lot, she will promptly scold the Sims or beat them with her purse. If a Sim innocently wanders out in his/her underwear or bathing suit, Mrs. Crumplebottom will lecture him/her until he/she changes back into his/her everyday clothes. For this reason, the player may not want to make a public pool as a Downtown lot. Mrs. Crumplebottom loves to knit, and she will usually knit as an idle animation when she's not doing anything.
Dear old Mrs. Crumplebottom is also impossible to change. If one welcomes her into his/her home through use of cheats, namely testingcheatsenabled, and try to use the Sim Modder, her behavior will not change in the least. Even with full niceness, she will still reprimand Sims for showing affection, showing too much skin, or slacking off. The player may want to be careful of what doing in front of her.
Mrs. Crumplebottom may not even be a Sim in the strictest sense of the word. She cannot be interacted with by any Sim, and will lecture Sims who want to interact with her. Upon being bitten by a vampire, Mrs. Crumplebottom has the same stricken gesture as any other bitten Sim, however she does not convert and remains the same as if she were immune to the bite. In addition, game corruption may occur if she is bitten. It is believed that this is because of the game treating her as an object instead of a character.
If the player has The Sims 2: Seasons expansion pack, a Sim may wish for Romance from a wishing well. There is a 50% chance that Mrs. Crumplebottom will crawl out of the well and hit the Sim with her purse.
Preventing the PurseEdit
So far, there are six (known) ways to avoid Mrs. Crumplebottom:
- Don't go Downtown. Sims don't have to go out for a date. A cozy night at home can be every bit as satisfying as a night out. Since Mrs. Crumplebottom can't go on to private property without the use of cheats (or a Wishing Well romance wish fail), Sims can show as much affection as they desire without the risk of being beaten with a purse or scolded. This will also save money because they don't need to buy a car, call a taxi, or build a garage. This is not always the best choice, especially if a Sim wants to go out.
- If you do visit Downtown, take your date to a bowling alley, a nightclub with a bar, or a lot with at least one poker table. Although Mrs. Crumplebottom is mean and cranky, she still likes fun as well as drinks. Sims can be WooHooing right in front of her and she won't care as long as she is bowling, drinking or playing poker. See the Distractions section below.
- Cancel her action before she can complete it. She is an old woman, so she is slow. While she is walking toward your Sim(s), X out her action by clicking on it. It is a picture of her at the top left corner. Many experienced Simmers know this. If she is running toward them, pause the game and X out her action. Try to overwrite it by making the Sim(s) do something else like talk to each other. She will still yell at them, but they won't notice because of the action they are doing at the moment.
- Use boolProp TestingCheatsEnabled true, then use force error on her. This cheat can be used to delete her from the lot. This has worked, though it is unknown if it will cause glitches or corruptions in the game. Unfortunately, doing that doesn't ensure she won't come back.
- Have a date on a community lot located in the main neighbourhood. Special Sims introduced with the Nightlife (such as Grand Vampires and Mrs. Crumplebottom) appear in Downtown only. So, if there is a club or a public swimming pool in the main neighbourhood, she won't appear.
- Use of this mod from ModTheSims will prevent her from spawning in the game. The mod does not do anything harmful, just modifies the code that tests to see if she should be spawned so it always says that she shouldn't. This will not prevent the Seasons wishing well from having the failure flame when a romance wish fails, but she will not be spawned.
She loves bowling more than she hates love, so romantic Sims are safe in bowling alleys. She will play a game of bowling and never stop. She plays poker on a lot that has a poker table and she will play forever unless she is interrupted, this is because she has no motive decay and can be useful for the player to have a date there. She also loves to drink. She will usually spend most of her time at a bar when there's one on a community lot.
If the player has the Bon Voyage expansion pack installed in the game, a new character is introduced. The Unsavory Charlatan, a venturing scam artist, just seems to be attracted to sweet ol' Mrs. Crumplebottom and if both of these characters are in the same lot he will try to have his way with her and serenade the "sweet" old lady, in which he'll end up being beat by one of Mrs. Crumplebottom's famous purse-whippings. These ridiculous interactions may give the player some time to finish up in the lot and head home to safety.
Mrs. Crumplebottom almost always wears her signature outfit. This includes a long, straight Appe dress with a button-up overcoat, along with tight shoes, pearls, a pillbox-hat with a small daisy pinned on, and her large, dark purse. Her dress is a tanned cream color. Her hair is grey and is always tied in a very tight bun. Her hair and outfit are unavailable for female elders without the testingcheatsenabled cheat.
In the spin-off game, MySims, Mrs. Crumplebottom makes a cameo as a costume. There is a dress that resembles hers along with a hat with hair in a bun like hers. There are also eyes that look like those of an elderly person along with a craggy mouth. Elmira Clamp is also the niece of Mrs. Crumplebottom and appears to have adopted a somewhat similar personality partially due to being babysat by her.
In The Sims 3, there is a purchasable book named "The Crumplebottom Legacy". This may be a reference to Mrs. Crumplebottom and her relatives.
One question that is often wondered by inquisitive simmers is "If her name is Mrs. Crumplebottom, then who was her husband?" There are many rumors around the community, and here are some of the most prominent:
- She was possibly married to the famous puppeteer and philanthropist, Robert Crumplebottom (mentioned in The Sims: Hot Date and The Sims: Vacation). During his Winter Charity Event, a chandelier dropped two full stories and ended his short yet inspiring life. His demise could have made Mrs. Crumplebottom very sad, and made her very cranky and hateful towards love.
- She was married to the founder of SimCity/Downtown.
- She was married to a rich Sim who put a lot of money into the community, and she feels that she runs the town because of it.
- Mrs. Crumplebottom is the head of the Old Town Senior Citizens Tour Group (as mentioned in a Medical career track chance card). She is also the main investor of Landgraab Industries (mentioned in a Business career chance card).
- When editing in SimPE her gender is checked off as male. Changing may corrupt your game. Hula Zombie also has this oddity.
- When editing in SimPE you can't open her character file because she is treated like an object, the same happens with Hula Zombie.
- When editing in SimPE she has no personality points, interests, career or memories.
- Oddly when editing her SimDNA she has grey hair genetics.
- When editing in SimPE she is treated there as an adult. This is very odd as she depicted in-game as an elder.
- Mrs. Crumplebottom is also seen many times with a thinking bubble with a pacifier, meaning that she may want to have/adopt children.
- In The Sims 2: University, there is a location on Sim State University known as Crumplebottom Lane. This may be a reference to Mrs. Crumplebottom and her family.
- There was some speculation about her return with The Sims 3: Late Night, though when the game came out she was not included in it.
- Whilst using a sketch table in The Sims 3 one of the randomly generated sketches a Sim creates is a picture of Mrs Crumplebottom.
- Her appearence is based on the real life Swedish actress, Noomi Rapace or perhaps the actress Beth Grant.
This article is a Featured Article. Its layout and content is an example of excellence on The Sims Wiki.
Dates featured: January 2009.
|The Crumplebottom Family|
|Simon - Prudence - Cornelia - Agnes - Erik Darling - Robert - Mrs. Crumplebottom - Elmira Clamp - Ian Arneson|