The service was initially launched as EA Downloader in 2005 and was used to distribute Battlefield 2 expansion packs. The service was re-branded as EA Download Manager in 2007 and purchases from the EA Store were downloaded via the EADM client.
The EA Store and EADM client were merged and re-branded as Origin in June 2011.
Comparisons and differences between Origin and Steam Edit
- Both services supply The Sims 3 and all of its expansion packs.
- Both services distribute games from third-party developers.
- Origin supplies exclusive content for EA games which isn't available via Steam or retail.
- Origin requires a separate download and install for each expansion pack, Steam downloads and installs them all together.
- Some games on Origin can be played while they are being downloaded.
Relation to The Sims series Edit
The Sims 4 is the first title in the series to require Origin for installation, although the game can be played without it afterwards. The service is used for updates and distribution of downloadable content.