- There are fish placed on the lot, either on the ground or mounted.
- It's snowing, and there is snow on the ground.
- There is a snowman on the lot.
There are several things a penguin can do:
- If there are any fish placed on the ground, it can eat up to two during the visit.
- If there's heavy snow accumulation, it can slide around the lot.
- It is attracted to wall mounted fish, and will even attempt to jump up to them. It won't be able to reach them, though; Sim penguins, like real-life penguins, cannot fly.
- It talks to any snowman, scarecrow, or Weathernaught 57X it encounters, even if the snowman is broken.
- The penguin may wander into the house and out again.
- The penguin might pee on the lawn.
Sims can pet it, which increases their social motive, or shoo it from the lot. Sometimes, if a Sim pets it, it will get nervous and pee while the Sim is still petting it. There is a glitch where a Sim can get a memory of meeting NPC: Penguin.
The penguin is also featured in The Sims Castaway Stories. They will appear occasionally on the lot briefly, and then they will disappear. Sims cannot interact with them. Also, drinking the Penguin Party potion will make the drinker be surrounded by penguins and get their social need boosted. The penguins will then slowly fade away.