Instrument skills are four similar skills in The Sims 3 each dealing with a different instrument, guitar, bass, drums and piano. The guitar skill is available in the base game but the other three became available with The Sims 3: Late Night.
- Compositions learned
- Increases as the Sim learns more compositions from books.
- Number of times compositions have been performed
- Use the action "Perform compositions" to increase this statistic.
- Each time a composition is performed the Sim will earn more money per tip! (To make 1000+ per tip you need the Guitar Star Celebrity challenge and must have simply performed (not job related or opportunity related - just the guitar playing option) around 333 or more times. Zoom out to perform faster to get this number up.
- Money made
- Tips earned playing the instrument (Using the action Play for tips)
- Times watched
- When each Sim watches the musician play, the statistic increases (One/Sim/day?)
- Money making tips
- Throwing a party at a public venue will guarantee a large audience. If you have The Sims 3: Late Night you can play the guitar (or one of the other instruments) in the subway for a higher rate of tips than normal.
- Master Guitarist/Drummer/Pianist/Bassist
- Master Guitarists learn to play every song awarded to them and available for purchase at the store. After learning so many songs, they receive a special Master Track!
- Guitar/Drum/Bass/Piano Star
- Guitar Stars must play at 10 Parties and Venues in the town to earn their title. Afterward, they earn larger monetary rewards for tips and performances!
Challenge is completed by completing 10 Opportunities for venues (see opportunities below). Many people have reported this to be a bug but it is not, it is just highly unlikely for a sim who has many skills to complete this challenge with normal lifespan and aging. More player tips.
- Money Maker
- Earn §25,000 playing the instrument to earn a new Master Track to perform. Money can be earned through tips or by completing opportunities.
Sims with an instrument skill level 5 or above can learn new songs by buying and reading sheet music from bookstore. Sheet music is used up when learned and must be bought again for another Sim to learn it. Songs can not be learned more than once. Two more songs are available from Master Guitarist challenge and Money Maker challenge.
Experienced Sims can play for tips at level 5. If the Sim plays in a public lot they will gain money and friends really fast. Playing for tips for extended periods of time will most likely lead to completing skill challenges from the charisma skill although it will not increase their actual skill level in charisma. If done for a very, very long time it may even lead to these challenges triggering for the Sim's spouse. Naturally, the Virtuoso perk is indispensable in the process.
Sims with level 5 instrument skill will create a positive moodlet of +15 to all those around. This moodlet increases by +5 with every additional skill point up to a maximum of +40. This effect does not stack with the moodlet caused by a stereo; whichever is strongest will give the moodlet.
|5||Guitar||Yes Ma'am, I Do||Must be learned from a book.|
|5||Bass||In My Truck||Must be learned from a book.|
|5||Drums||Howdy! Means Hello||Must be learned from a book.|
|5||Piano||Summer Hayrides||Must be learned from a book.|
|6||Bass||Cha Cha Cha Ching||Must be learned from a book.|
|6||Drums||Dancing Duel||Must be learned from a book.|
|6||Guitar||A Love Since Forgotten|
|6||Guitar||If You Mean It|
|6||Guitar||Keep On Raining|
|6||Guitar||Flamenco Fever||Must be learned from a book.|
|6||Piano||Nicholas's Fresco Impromptu||Must be learned from a book.|
|7||Bass||Subway Glances||Must be learned from a book.|
|7||Drums||If Only I Had Known||Must be learned from a book.|
|7||Guitar||Pa Fights the Bear|
|7||Guitar||Rails for Miles|
|7||Guitar||My Porch, Anytime|
|7||Guitar||A Perfect Moment||Must be learned from a book.|
|7||Piano||Wilkinson's Bay Sonata||Must be learned from a book.|
|8||Bass||Feeling Cheated||Must be learned from a book.|
|8||Drums||Be Bop Blues||Must be learned from a book.|
|8||Guitar||I Won't, If You Will|
|8||Guitar||Two Steps at a Time|
|8||Guitar||One More Dance?|
|8||Guitar||Improvise Here and Now||Must be learned from a book.|
|8||Piano||Peanut Butter and Jelly Blues||Must be learned from a book.|
|9||Bass||Gobo Trance||Must be learned from a book.|
|9||Drums||The Awesome Song||Must be learned from a book.|
|9||Guitar||One Night on Powell|
|9||Guitar||Keep It Up|
|9||Guitar||Meet Me Downtown|
|9||Guitar||Dream Escape||Must be learned from a book.|
|9||Piano||Roland Forbearance||Must be learned from a book.|
|10||Guitar||If I Had Two Hearts|
|10||Guitar||The Southern Lady|
|10||Guitar||It Ends Now|
|10||Guitar||Master Track: Kaitlin's Song||Randomly from the Master Guitarist challenge, the Money Maker challenge or from reaching level 10 in the Guitar skill with Virtuoso trait.|
|10||Guitar||Master Track: So Epic It Hurts||Randomly from the Master Guitarist challenge, the Money Maker challenge or from reaching level 10 in the Guitar skill with Virtuoso trait.|
|10||Guitar||Master Track: Ballad of the Raider||Randomly from the Master Guitarist challenge, the Money Maker challenge or from reaching level 10 in the Guitar skill with Virtuoso trait.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A bug report says that putting away a sheet music into a bookcase renders Sims unable to learn the song.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A bug in the game gives a duplicate of the same song instead of all three different Master Track songs. Making a copy of a Sim with master tracks causes the copy to lose all master tracks with no way to re-learn them.
- Local Musician
- Play in Contest at the Theatre before time runs out to earn the cash prize!
- I Got Your Back...Up
- Perform with Symphony before time runs out at the Theatre to earn some money!
- The Social Event of the Season
- Play the guitar at a Sim's party to earn some money, and to gain relationships with the local party starter!
- In the End
- Perform for Party at the Business Office before time runs out to earn some money!
- Raise the Fun(d)!
- Perform for Fundraiser at the restaurant before time runs out to earn some money and to learn a composition!
- Guitar Up!
- Improve your Guitar skill by one level to receive a new composition!
- Tons of Tips
- Earn some money in tips to improve your relationship with a sim, and to earn some even more money!
- Jammin' on the Streets
- [Same as Tons of Tips]
- Sorting the Section
- Help Organize Music at the Bookstore before time runs out to earn some money, and to learn a composition!
- Some Hogan Rock
- Attend Seminar at the Bookstore before time runs out to receive a little inspiration.
- Guitar in the House
- Play the guitar at a Sim's home during the party on a specific date to earn some money.
- Music Assembly
- Perform at the School to earn some money.