Swimming pools are building features that were first introuduced in The Sims and returned in other games, but its function remains the same. Swimming pools can be built on residential and community lots via build mode. Sims can drown in a swimming pool if they run low on energy, so make sure there is a pool ladder nearby.
Sims (except those with the Hydrophobic trait[TS3]) enjoy swimming and it refills their fun motive. Sims with the Loves to Swim trait will gain a special moodlet when swimming[TS3]. Other than filling the fun motive, swimming will build the Body[TS2], Athletic[TS3], or Fitness[TS4] skill, and will raise enthusiasm for the Fitness hobby [TS2FT]. Other than that, swimming in pools can also keep Sims fit.
Advanced building featuresEdit
- Diving board[TS][TS2][TS3][TS4:GT]
- Slide [TS:V][TS2:S][TS3:IP]
- Diagonal pool construction[TS2:NL][TS3][TS4]
- Curved pool construction[TS2:S][TS3]
- Paint pool walls[TS2:S][TS3][TS4]
- Pools on any floor[TS3][TS4]
- Pool bar[TS3:IP] 
- Pool waterfall[TS3:IP]
- Water color[TS4]
The Sims Edit
Pools in The Sims were constructed in horizontal fragments, which could overlap to form bigger pools. Pools could not be diagonal, and could not have any objects placed on top of them, excluding pool ladders and diving boards. Swimming pools can only be built on the first floor. As Sims cannot enter a pool without a diving board or ladder, pools could simply be used as decoration.
A Sim that enters a swimming pool will swim around in it autonomously. The player can instruct Sims to swim to a specified spot in the pool, but no further interactions can be done. Multiple Sims can swim in a swimming pool at a time, but they will not interact with each other, and will simply turn around and swim in another direction if they meet.
The Sims 2 Edit
Pools in The Sims 2 were constructed in much the same way as The Sims. One pool title cost §75 simoleons. Swimming pools can only be built on the ground, which means that a house with a basement can place a swimming pool in it. Much like The Sims, a pool without an entrance to it can simply be used as décor.
Unlike The Sims, where pools appeared to be opaque, pools in The Sims 2 were translucent, allowing the player to see the bodies of the swimmers and the floor underneath. The Sims 2 also added pool lights, which could be placed on the pool walls.
Sims in the pool now had more interactions, although they still will not interact with other Sims in the pool by default. Sims can float on their backs in the pool, and can play Marco Polo with other Sims.[TS2S]
Like The Sims, Sims cannot exit a pool without a pool ladder, and cannot enter one without a ladder, diving board, or pool slide. However, Sims can re-enter a pool by simply jumping over the edge whilst playing Marco Polo, although the player has no control over this.
With Nightlife, diagonal pools were introduced, allowing for more pool designs to be constructed. Nightlife also eased several restrictions placed on pool construction; prior to the expansion pack, extensions to the pool needed to be a minimum of 2 squares and all pools needed to be rectangular. This requirement was removed, making pool construction much like it is in The Sims.
Seasons introduced curved corner pieces that cost 300 simoleons apiece. Seasons also added the ability to customize the floor and walls by adding floor tiles and wall covering.
The Sims 3 Edit
For the first time in the series, Sims no longer require a ladder to enter or exit a swimming pool; they can simply climb or jump over the edge. This means that, should the player want to kill their Sim via drowning, they must box in the entire pool with walls.
Much like The Sims 2, pool walls and floors can be customized with any wall or floor covering. Pool-related gear can also be added.
Sims can compete in breath contests in a pool, where Sims hold their breath underwater for as long as possible.
With the Late Night patch, curved and diagonal pools were reintroduced, as well as water spouts.
The Sims 4 Edit
- This section is in need of additional information. You can help The Sims Wiki by expanding this section.
In The Sims 4, Sims can sit at the edge of the pool. If a Sim swims for too long, they will get the "Pulled Muscle" moodlet, or, if the Sim is an Elder, get the "Dangerously Tired" moodlet and possibly die. Sims may also urinate in a pool to relieve their bladder need.
Unlike in previous games, Sims can talk with each other while swimming in the pool.
Pool objects Edit
Water color Edit
Patch ??? added the ability to change a pool's water color.
- In The Sims 2, Sims not controlled by the player can increase their fitness level by swimming. However, their body shape flags and chemistry traits will not change unless they are made selectable with testingcheatsenabled or a cheat object such as the InSimenator or Sim Blender, or the flags and traits are changed with SimPE.
- In The Sims 3, a Sim with the Childish or Insane trait can fish in pools.
- In The Sims 3: Late Night and The Sims 4: Get Together, Sims can go skinny dipping in swimming pools.
- If a Sim dies by fire, their ghost may swim in a pool if one is near their grave or urn.
- In The Sims and The Sims 2, removing the pool ladder will prevent Sims from getting in and out of the pool. In The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, Sims can get in and out without the need of a ladder, but can be prevented from doing so by building walls around the pool.
- If The Sims 2: Seasons is installed, outdoor pools are considered to be heated, and are available in all seasons, even winter.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sims 3 Island Paradise Fact Sheet at SimsVIP.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Sims 3: Late Night/twitter
- ↑ Neighborhoods, Weird Moments and More on TheSims.com
- ↑ "The Sims 4 Will Bring Back Ghosts And Swimming Pools (Free Of Charge)". Retrieved on 8 October 2014.
- ↑ http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/800950/did-they-remove-the-pool-interactions