The following is a list of sim characters encountered in the game that have story significance.
- David Bennett: One of the mechanics for the Solomon Queen, who mainly took the job so he could go to Club Meet your Mate. He was one of the two characters who could be chosen at the beginning of the game.
- Jessica Knight: A writer who recently took an offer to write an article in "Going Places" magazine. Little did she know she wasn't "Going" to Club Meet your Mate. She was one of the two characters who could be chosen at the beginning of the game.
- Waiata: The orangutan the main character adopts as a pet. Initially, she is not very kind to the main Sim for attempting to take the tiki idol, but eventually she agrees to stay with them.
- Mata: a leopard that guards one of the exits in Crossroads.
- Emma Langsford: A survivor from the Solomon Queen. She has a huge crush on Robby, and in the end she follows Robby's decision to remain on the island.
- Hugh Bailey: A survivor from the Solomon Queen. Greedy and manipulative, he takes over Shady Lagoon, the main character's secondary residence, without hesitation.
- Gina Gibson: A survivor from the Solomon Queen. She is portrayed as a ditsy and daring young lady, who also loves to garden, and has a husband back home in the city.
- Robby Smith: A survivor from the Solomon Queen. He loves to have fun constantly, and loves pranks and jokes. He eventually decides to stay on the island with Emma Langsford.
- Sandra Barnham: A survivor from the Solomon Queen. She seems to have a slight interest in Hugh and is very homesick.
- Professor Winford Rhinehart: An old scientist who has done extensive research on the island, hence his vast knowledge about the island's history and culture. Initially, he is very helpful to the main character and the other survivors, but as the story continues, his true intentions are revealed. In the end, his ultimate fate is in the player's hands.
- Rarahu Anuata: The Chief's guard. He serves as the messenger between the Manave family and the main character. Doesn't have a home, choses to be a nomad so that, "his prey won't get familiar with his scent."
- Nanihi Manave: The daughter of the Chief and Huhana. Mischievous and playful, she is being chased by a pack of wild hyenas when the main character meets her.
- Huhana Manave: The Chief's wife and mother of Nanihi. She weaves the main character a sail as a kind gesture for saving her daughter's life.
- Emobi Whetu: One of the villagers in the Village Market. He needs help fixing the exercise machines as he is not a skilled repairman.
- Kiri Roimata: One of the villagers in the Village Market. She wants the main character to light the trash pit for her.
- Orama Herenui: One of the villagers in the Village Market. She has a bad memory and is longing for a Singing Stone from Scavenger Fields.
- Timoti Fekitoa: One of the villagers in the Village Market. He is seen painting at the easel and would like to have company to play chess with.
- Ahio Heimata: One of the villagers at the Village Harbor. He is Rainui's younger brother and needs a hand in spearing fish.
- Akolo Mamanu: One of the villagers at the Village Harbor. He wants to have a jar of fireflies to use for a light at night.
- Rainui Heimata: One of the villagers at the Village Harbor. She is Ahio's bossy sister and wants someone to push her on the swing.
- Tumata Tehea: One of the villagers at the Village Harbor. She doesn't know how to play an instrument and wants the main character to play something for her.
- Fangaloka Manave: The Chief and father of Nanihi. He welcomes the main character to the tribe's Volcano Festival as an honorable guest.
- Amanaki Tama: The villiage shaman.
- Bart Pittman: The Chief Engineer of the Solomon Queen. He is the only survivor found on Volcano Island and is dying when the main character finds him. In his final breath, he reveals the truth about Professor Rhinehart to the main character.
- Ron Condor: The helicopter pilot that arrives at the end on an assignment to deliver a top-secret package to Professor Rhinehart. He also rescues the survivors of Solomon Queen (Robby, Emma, Hugh, Sandra, and Gina, not including Robby and Emma who decide to stay). Survivors get dumped back on the island for almost crashing the helicopter and getting on Ron's nerves.