Skill in The Sims SocialEdit
In The Sims Social, skill points (and skill level) can be gained by completing tasks on a related item. Each item needs some energy to be completed. While skills are capped at 10 levels and are generally harder in other Sims games, in The Sims Social they can reach 150 and are easier to do.
Skill items can be bought in the shop. Some skill items can unlock decorational items, functional items or other skill items (for reaching further levels). Performing a skill task consumes 1 energy. Some skill levels/tasks must be unlocked with various elements collected in the Backpack. Higher skill levels are also required for promotions in Careers.
Skill levels can be managed from the Skills menu on the left bottom corner of the game screen, under your Sim avatar. It shows your current levels for each skill, and the total (the sum) of these levels.
Currently, there are seven basic skills to develop:
|Art skill is developed by using easels, drawing boards, statues, and other items related to the arts (painting, drawing, sculpting, designing).|
|Athletic skill is developed by using athletic equipments and other items related to sports.|
|Cooking skill is developed by using cooking appliances (microwave, coffee maker, stove, etc.) and other items related to cooking.|
|Driving skill is developed by using cars to learn how to drive.|
|Logic skill is developed by using the chess set, orrery, and telescope from the SimSnap mini-game.|
|Music skill is developed by using musical instruments (guitar, keyboard, piano, etc.) to compose or play songs.|
|Writing skill is developed by using writing instruments (computer, typewriter, etc.) to write something.|
Beside the basic skills above, there were other special skills, released during the Halloween event in October 2011:
The Halloween skills were a special holiday-themed skill, each linked to a limited-time object. Unlike later Project Item Skills, you do not "build" the object before using it.
The Haunted Art skill is only developed by drawing on a Haunted Easel. Haunted Art skill was released for Halloween 2011. The Haunted Easel was only available until November 9.
The Haunted Cooking skill is only developed by cooking using a Haunted Cauldron. Haunted Cooking skill was released for Halloween 2011. The Haunted Cauldron was only available until November 9.
The Haunted Music skill is only developed by playing on a Haunted Organ. Haunted Music skill was released for Halloween 2011. The Haunted Organ was only available until November 9.
The Haunted Writing skill is only developed by writing using the Haunted Desk. Haunted Writing skill was released for Halloween 2011. The Haunted Desk was only available until November 9.
A project item is a special skill item that is built in stages by completing its skill tasks. Although it might appear to be like other skill items, sometimes it's not: project items can be unrelated to any basic or special skill. The skill tasks that comprise them are similar to steps for building the item.
Project items usually consist of more than one stage, with the item appearance changing to reflect the finished tasks. Most of the project items give rewards when you finish before the specified time.
Since the skills are linked to one specific object, building the object and unlocking interactions with it are the main objectives of leveling up the skill.
Project Item Skills are usually related to a Theme Week:
- Angelic Bed Skill, building the Blissful Dreamer Double Bed - Naughty or Nice week;
- Build Roulette Table Skill, building the WiseFellas Casino Table - Gangster week;
- ColleXion Dresser Skill, building the ColleXion Dressing Room and unlocking further access to the Penthouse - Sim In The City week;
- Decorate Christmas Tree Skill, completing Build-It Holiday Trees - during December's four Christmas theme weeks;
- Fairy Tale Tower Skill, building The Great Dragon Tower - Medieval week;
- Flower Van Skill, building the Blossom Combivan - Flower Power week;
- Naughty Bed Skill, building the Tempest Nights Double Bed - Naughty or Nice week;
- Leisure Pool Skill, building the Ataraxia Leisure Pool - Pool week;
- Romantic Dining Table Skill, building the Amour Dinner For Two - Valentine's week;
- Sealox Luxury Yacht, building the Yacht - Bond/spy week;
- SimPhonic Jukebox Skill, building the SimPhonic Jukebox - Rock 'n' Roll week;
- Tropical Zen Garden Skill, building the Zen Garden - Pampering week;
- Vault Skill, building the Cave of Wonders Door - Arabian Nights week;
- Vegas Ritzy Fountain Skill, building the Vegas Ritzy Fountain - Vegas week.
Even Project Items that become Basic Skill items upon completion are still related to a Theme Week:
- Connie's Country Stage (Music Skill item) - Country & Western week;
- CuisineMuse Master Kitchen (Cooking Skill item) - Sim In The City week;
- Le Café Grande Patisserie (Cooking Skill item) - Paris week;
- Lonely Mermaid Sculpture (Art Skill item) - Greek Gods week;
- Quantum Orbital Kitchen (Cooking Skill item) - Geek week;
- SwigSpot Anniversary Edition (Cooking Skill item) - 7 Days Of Celebration week;
- ValleyView Splendor BBQ (Cooking Skill item) - Summer BBQ week.