Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In The Sims: Unleashed. pet skills use the same 0 to 10 scale that Sim skills use. Pets have three skills; cats and dogs have two common skills, while each species has a skill that is unique to it. They are as follows:
- Tricks: A pet, be it cat or dog, can learn a few tricks. When a pet is in a good mood, have a Sim teach it some tricks. Naturally, when it first starts practicing, it will be abysmal, but the more practice it gets, the more tricks it will be able to do. Cats can learn to Box, Dance, and Play Keyboard. Dogs can learn High Flip, Low Flip, Bounce, Jump, and Play Dead. A higher obedience skill helps a pet learn tricks faster. Sims can also pay the pet trainer in Old Town a few Simoleons to do it for them.
- Obedience: No matter how loyal a pet is, it will only follow every command if its Obedience skill is high. Pets with higher Obedience skill are more likely follow a command, learn new tricks more quickly. Also, pets with at least three points in Obedience can often be told to stop what they're doing. Therefore, it is quite useful to make sure a pet is obedient. Clicking on 'Sit and Stay' will start a session of teaching this skill. Additionally, a pet will gain a small amount of Obedience skill each time a Sim calls it over.
- Housebreaking (Dogs only): Cats know to do their thing in the litter tray, but dogs have no such instincts. Therefore, Sims will need to give dogs a crash course about where to urinate. The moment a puddle or a pile of poo appears, praise the dog if it is outside, and scold him if it is inside. This will increase the dog's Housebreaking skill. After a while, he will be increasingly likely to do his business outside.
- Hunting (Cats only): The higher this skill, the better chances a cat will have of catching rabbits or any other pests that might be attacking a vegetable patch. Cats learn this skill by hunting mice or garden pests. Cats may hunt autonomously, but the player can also tell a cat to hunt by clicking on it, selecting 'Hunt...', then telling the cat what to hunt.
Note: Training a pet will make the pet lose energy faster.
The Sims 2Edit
Pets can be Praised or Scolded for the things they do which help them learn behaviors. Scolding a pet discourages the behavior, and praising encourages it. Sims can encourage and discourage bad behavior as well as good behavior. Once behaviors are learned Sims can use them as commands. Kittens and puppies can learn behaviors. but a kitten or puppy who has completely learned a behavior cannot be given the associated command.
Sims can only praise or scold the last behavior of a pet. The player can see if a pet can be praised or scolded by the circular arrow in the corner of their portraits.
Commands are tricks that Sims can teach their adult pets. Once a pet learns a command a Sim can give the pet that command at any time.
Commands are necessary for a pet to advance in a career.
- List of Commands
- Sit up
- Come Here
- Pets who have learned this command can be called to eat by clicking on a food bowl.
- Roll Over
- Shake (paws)
- Play Dead
- Use Toilet (cats only)
- Cats who have learned this command can and will use a toilet spontaneously.
- Custom toilets may not have been updated to be usable by cats.
The Sims 3EditPet skills return in The Sims 3: Pets and they vary from species to species:
- Digging (Console Version)
- Fetching (Console Version)
When playing via the console, players are able to click on a dog to teach him or her to dig once they reach adulthood. The fetching skill can be obtained by buying the Lifetime Happiness Reward "Awesome at Fetch."
When playing via the console, the Sim can teach a cat to Hunt by simply selecting the option for the cat to "Stalk Something" as soon as he or she is an adult.
Cats can hunt minor pets, which will appear in the cat's inventory. The cat can give the minor pet to its owner.
In the Console version, a kitten can learn the hunting skill by using toys to practice hunting. The toys can be a toy mouse or even a ball of foil that comes with the toy box. However, the toy box seems to be glitched, as it allows toys to be cleaned up, but does not have an interaction which allows humans or pets to take toys out.