In The Sims 2, the ghost of a Sim who died of starvation will be a transparent white. These ghosts will open and close the fridge, and will take food. These ghosts get angry if there is no fridge on the lot or if the fridge is empty. Babies, toddlers, and children cannot die of starvation; they will be removed by the social worker before their hunger drops low enough.
In The Sims 3, a Sim starves if he or she gets the "Starving" moodlet, and it expires. Since a Sim will only get this moodlet after the "Hungry" and "Very Hungry" moodlets have expired, starvation takes longer than it does in other Sims games. In The Sims 3, the ghost of a Sim who died of starvation will be purple, and the gravestone of that Sim will have a picture of a knife, fork, and plate on it. Vampires in The Sims 3: Late Night cannot die of starvation, but can die from thirst.
- In The Sims 3, when a Sim dies of starvation, their weight will be automatically set to "very thin". Their weight will remain "very thin" even if they are resurrected.
- In The Sims, if a Sim's hunger motive is at zero, then it will stay like that for a while, and then die. In The Sims 2, however, they will have a little bit of the hunger motive left, and then die when it reaches zero. This is the same for The Sims 3.
- In The Sims, children can die from starvation. In The Sims 2, they will be taken away by the Social Worker if they get very hungry.
- Vampires cannot die from starvation.
- In The Sims: Unleashed, pets can die from starvation, but some of them may just run away from home. In both The Sims 2: Pets and The Sims 3: Pets, a pet cannot die from starvation, as pets will be taken away before they can starve.