Swimming builds Body/Athletic skill. In The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, it also keeps Sims fit. With The Sims 2: FreeTime, swimming increases enthusiasm in Fitness. If The Sims 2: Seasons is installed, outdoor pools are considered to be heated, and are available in all seasons.
Prior to Nightlife, building a pool in The Sims 2 was extremely cumbersome. Extensions to the pool needed to be a minimum of 2 squares and all pools needed to be rectangular. Nightlife fixed the problem regarding pool construction.
Advanced building featuresEdit
- Diving board[TS][TS2][TS3:S]
- Slide [TS:V][TS2:S] [TS3:IP]
- Diagonal pool construction [TS2:NL][TS4]
- Curved pool construction [TS2:S][TS3:LN]
- Paint pool walls [TS2:S][TS3][TS4]
- Pools on any floor [TS3:LN][TS4]
- Pool bar [TS3:IP] 
- In The Sims 2, Sims not controlled by the player can increase their fitness level by swimming. However, their body shape flags and chemistry traits will not change unless they are made selectable with testingcheatsenabled or a cheat object such as the InSimenator or Sim Blender, or the flags and traits are changed with SimPE.
- In The Sims 3, a Sim with the Childish or Insane traits can fish in pools.
- If a Sim dies by fire, their ghost may swim in a pool if one is near their grave or urn.
- In The Sims and The Sims 2, removing the pool ladder will prevent Sims from getting in and out of the pool. In The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, Sims can get in and out without the need of ladder, but can be prevented from doing so by building walls around the pool.