- Motives: Watching television increases a Sim's Fun motive. Sitting in front of the television allows a Sim to also regain Comfort. Several Sims can watch television together and improve their relationship while gaining Social. In The Sims and The Sims 2, all but the cheapest models improve a room's Room/Environment score.
Televisions in The Sims are rather simplistic. Watching television can only be used to increase Sims' fun motive and give them a chance to socialize. All television sets are functionally identical to one another, though the more expensive models boost the Room score. Also, because of the way object graphics work in The Sims, each channel displays a set of static images rather than animated clips or video.
|Monochrome TV||The Sims||Buy mode||§85||1x1||There's something to be said for watching TV and movies in Black and white. Who wants high definition, high fidelity and high costs when Sims can get a little entertainment at a low, low, low price!||Fun: 2|
|Trottco 27" Color Television B94U||The Sims||Buy mode||§500||1x1||Whether you need a total distraction and some entertainment in the kitchen, the bedroom, or the family room, the B94U television set from Trottco is a solid choice. Auto-tuning. Channel Recall. Hair Filter. Sharpness. Three A/V Inputs visible. Static-Video Input. Audio Output. Permanent Channel Setting. Bass and Treble Sounds. TV Stand. Vents.||Fun: 4|
|Soma Plasma TV||The Sims||Buy mode||§3,500||2x1||Perfect focus... Perfect image uniformity... Perfect entertainment. Soma Consumer Electronics takes the "plasma phenomenon" to a brave new level in this elegant technology statement. With it's [sic] incredible image quality, unique form and super thin, Flatuospective screen, the Soma Plasma TV is the undisputed leader in nanopixel technology.||Fun: 6|
|Wall-Mounted TV||The Sims: Superstar||Buy mode||§7,999||2x1 wall||Originally envisioned as a revolution in the space-saving industry, the wall mounted TV is now a highly sought after commodity simply due to its massive "coolness" factor. It is estimated that households with this large wall-mounted TV are at least 3 times as cool as those without. So what are you waiting for? Be cool, and get one today.||Fun: 8|
All the television sets included in The Sims base game are functionally identical, thus they all receive the same TV channels. These are:
However, with the release of Superstar four new channels were added, and are only available on lots with a satellite dish. The new channels were:
- Which channel(s) a Sim will enjoy the most depends on his or her personality. For example, a playful Sim will like watching cartoons, while a mean Sim will like watching horror.
- Installing Superstar will update the base game televisions so that they can receive the new channels included in that expansion pack. However, these channels may not be available on custom televisions, even if Superstar is installed.
- In The Sims, Sims cannot build skills by watching or repairing televisions, nor can they work out in front of one.
The Sims 2Edit
Televisions in The Sims 2 are slightly more complex than in The Sims. In addition to boosting the fun motive, and giving Sims a chance to socialize, they also allow Sims to improve some skills. Also, unlike in The Sims, televisions actually use video and not just static images. However, as in The Sims, television sets are functionally identical to one another, and more expensive models improve a room's environment score.
If a video game console is placed near a television set (usually within two tiles of it), a video game can be played on the TV. Other Sims will be able to watch or join in.
|Trottco 27" MultuVid IV Television||The Sims 2||Buy mode||§500||1x1||Keep yourself entertained with this 27" television from Trottco. The picture-perfect tube broadcasts ReelColor images. Sonorous multi-channel audio charms, captivates, and dazzles any Sim. Comes with multiple A/V and gaming inputs. Who needs to go anywhere else when you've got Trottco?||Fun: 6|
|Soma 44" PancakeTek Television||The Sims 2||Buy mode||§3,500||1x2||This 44" television delivers multiple channels of high-fidelity, flat-panel clarity unparalleled by tube based televisions, and its digital pre-processing unit features the innovative PancakeTek chipset, which squishes the unpalatable three dimensions of the real world into far more digestible two.||Fun: 8
|Soma "Wall-Eye" Large Screen Flat-Panel Television||The Sims 2||Buy mode||§8,000||1x2 wall||Enjoy hours of room-filling entertainment watching your favorite off-the-wall television shows right on the wall! The Wall-Eye's flat panel screen renders every pixel sharp and clear for a rich, vibrant display that's so realistic, it's been described as a window to the world.||Fun: 10
|SwingarmCo 27" MultiVid V Television||The Sims 2: Nightlife||Buy mode||§750||1x1 wall||We at SwingarmCo would like to take this opportunity to express our most sincere dedication to the task of determining the validity of many of our customers complaints that we "borrowed" the Trottco model and simply added a swing arm to it. We would like to point out to all our customers that the SwingarmCo Mutivid V Television is nothing like the Trottco Multivid IV Television. The Trottco is a floor model. The SwingarmCo is definitely not a floor model. What more do you need?||Fun: 7
|Futur-Vu by Vidioblast||The Sims 2: Pets||Buy mode||§800||1x1||Relive the glory days of TV's infancy while you watch your favorite shows of today. The Futur-Vu uses real lead-lined CRT technology to provide a delightfully distorted picture in a package so heavy you'll probably need surgery if you ever decide to try and lift it. Vidioblast is not responsible for retinal damage caused by sitting too close to the screen.||Fun: 7
|Stationary Concierge by Splendid Scenes||The Sims 2: Bon Voyage||Buy mode||§1,200||1x1||Entertainment for your guests is both easy and elegant with the Stationary Concierge by Splendid Scenes. The Hutch is hand-painted and carved to match one of several themes and is crafted of the finest woods. Splendid Scenes - for all your home and commercial needs. (All-purpose TV remote included.)||Fun: 7
|The Television Television||The Sims 2: Teen Style Stuff||Buy mode||§1,800||1x1||The Television Television will be the centerpiece in any room it goes in. With included entertainment center, upscaling DVD player, stereo speakers, and 1280 resolution, this HDTV will rock any entertainment lover's world. Combine that with the compact size of the entire unit and the razor thin flat-screen display and you've got yourself a yummy little package.||Fun: 8
|The Tube in Wood-Paneling||The Sims 2: FreeTime||Buy mode||§800||1x2||When you're feeling the need to escape into days gone by, there's no better way then to plant yourself in front of a The Tube in Wood-Paneling. When this television is on, the whole world reverts back to childhood and simpler times.||Fun: 7
|Centerpiece Entertainment Suite||The Sims 2: FreeTime||Buy mode||§2,600||1x2||A centerpiece of any room, this entertainment center not only stylishly frames the television, it also provides room to place books, busts, and other decorations around its borders. With cabinets for media (or anything else) storage and a sturdy wooden design, the Centerpiece Entertainment Suite garners attention for all the right reasons.||Fun: 8
|EXPEDIT TV Storage Unit||The Sims 2: IKEA Home Stuff||Buy mode||§834||1x2||Once more the shout came up from the design den. "Not enough boxes!" screamed IKEA. "This TV unit needs more boxes!" In the end, IKEA would get its glorious wish - a television surrounded by storage boxes. Did they go too far? Or not far enough?||Fun: 7
|Smitty Classy's TV Shrine||The Sims 2: Apartment Life||Buy mode||§2,350||1x2||Does your TV stand really match your TV's personality? Is it strong, rugged, and all about sports? Or is it some wimpy table that your mommy gave you for your birthday? Get something to really match your TV viewing habits, and wow all your friends with its presence and power.||Fun: 8
- Sims Broadcasting Network (SBN): Local Channel mainly for Adults. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Film and Literature hobby. The programs are:
- The Pleasant family drama at 113 Wright Way in Pleasantview, although that is not their house.
- A show, probably meant to be a soap opera, set in a hospital, which shows doctors kissing and operating.
- Talk show about celebrities
- What appears to be a Simlish version of "Survivor".
- News reports appear frequently, and include the sounds "Glarn", which may be the name of the reporter in the field, and "Sophie Kanarf", which may be the presenter's name. News reports include a fire, a political speech, and helicopter reporting over a city. The helicopter reports seem to show the destruction sequences from KidzTube.
- KidzTube: Children's Channel for Kids. Children who watch this channel will gain Fun very quickly. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Film and Literature hobby. The programs are:
- A giant Servo from The Sims destroying a city from SimCity 4.
- Another programs shows a UFO destroying a city.
- A super team rescuing their comrades from the evil team.
- Social Bunnies entertaining children.
- A grouchy elderly man kicking garden gnomes and flamingos, in which the gnomes and flamingos seek—and apparently get—revenge, as the program finishes with an image of a gravestone with a flamingo and a gnome beside it.
- SimStation Dance: Music Channel mainly for Teens. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Music and Dance hobby. The programs are:
- A man who rents 3 hula dancers and tries to flirt with them, but always fails. His attempts to make them happy includes flirting, dancing together, and dancing to Shicka Zicka Soom.
- A group of women dancing together, pretending they are inside a night club.
- A gothic girl and a boy. The girl's mom recently died and the boy shows no respect towards it, such as him kicking the grave and other things. Later on, the girl gets outraged and attacks the boy.
- The Yummy Channel: Cooking channel mainly for Elders. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Cuisine hobby. Sims gain cooking skill from watching. The logo for the Yummy Channel is an outline of a globe, topped by a chef's hat. The programs are:
- A cooking challenge which resembles Iron Chef, the show stops after the contender's kitchen catches on fire.
- Isabella Monty cooking a Baked Alaska. In the end, it catches on fire and burns Isabella to her death.
- A barbecue cooking show with an old man who apparently has a kitchen outside. After he grills, he takes a nap at a recliner near the kitchen.
- SimStation Sports Channel mainly for young adults. It uses the football news report from Sims Broadcasting Network. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Sports hobby.
- New SBN commercials which include pets.
- The Weather Station: Gives a pop-up message forecasting the weather for the upcoming hours, although the weather man mostly utters something completely unrelated instead. Watching this channel builds enthusiasm for the Science hobby.
- New commercials which show seasonal activities.
- No new TV channels per se, but a new movies-on-demand service is added.
- With The Sims 2: Pets, dogs and cats may watch TV, and dogs may also bark at one. They may also watch a video game in-progress, if it is played on the TV.
- Sometimes, what appears to be a promo for a program on one channel will appear on another channel.
- With FreeTime, the television can be used to build enthusiasm in the Cuisine, Sports, Film and Literature, Music and Dance, Science, Tinkering, and Fitness hobbies. With a video game system it can also build Games enthusiasm.
- If FreeTime is installed, the EXPEDIT TV Storage Unit from IKEA Home Stuff and The Television Television from Teen Style Stuff will lack the "Watch Movie" and "Tinker" options. If Apartment Life is installed, the player can install this mod to re-enable those functions - otherwise, they should download this and this.
The Sims 3Edit
The number of channels depends on the television, for example the Old Timey Tele has 3 out of 7 channels, but the 36" HiFi Plasmondo TV from Landgraab Industries has all 7 channels. With Seasons, the weather channel will be added to all TVs. All channels use The Sims 2 game as the model.
Basic (Old Timey Tele)
- KidZ Zone: Shows a show featuring costumed characters like the Social Bunny and rival university mascot playing. There is also a ballerina and other characters all doing the smustle. They each get a close up.
- Romantic Rendezvous: Shows a black and white romance movie and a wedding from part of the trailer for The Sims 2: Celebration! Stuff.
- Sports Universe: Shows a sports commentary program about football and winter sports and a news reporter freezing to death.
- Action World: Shows a superhero film (an edited version of the videoclip "Datarock - Fa Fa Fa" for The Sims 2 Free Time) and a movie about Jessica Knight (from the trailer of The Sims Castaway Stories).
Basic Plus (Channel Troller 27" Deluxe TV)
- Terror TV: Shows a vampire movie and a stalker film (with a twist ending). Coward, Over-Emotional or Neurotic Sims will become scared for several hours if they watch this channel.
- Cookin' Cable: Shows a parody of Iron Chef and a cooking show with a chef who's manner of speaking resembles the Swedish Chef. This show uses music from The Sims: Unleashed. The chef could be a The Sims 2 version of Chet R. Chase. Watching this channel will increase a sim's Cooking skill, but only if the sim watching has already gained at least one level in Cooking prior to this.
- Got Garden: Shows a movie of a woman making flower bouquets and, later on, being eaten by a cowplant, it increases the Gardening skill.
Premium (ÜberVison Panoramic from Landgraab Industries)
- Fishing Fracas: Shows a duo of fishermen (one clearly better than the other) fishing in a lake in a forest.
- Halls of History: Shows a variety of elderly Sims discussing an authoritarian society from SimCity Societies.
High Definition(36" HiFi Plasmondo TV from Landgraab Industries / WallVuu Standard TV / PlasmaTron TV and the Super Sim Television DLX (The Sims 3 Store))
- Super Shopping Network: A shopping channel where a variety of products are sold, however Sims can't buy anything.
Note: When any TV is broken, they can still be turned on. But it will display static, looking like there is no signal on the channel, or on the cheaper TV's, an interference pattern.
The Sims 4Edit
- This section is in need of additional information. You can help The Sims Wiki by expanding this section.
Televisions return in The Sims 4.
Televisions in The Sims 4 have 9 pre-made channels, which have footage created using The Sims 3, similar to how The Sims 3 itself used The Sims 2 for the TV. When watching TV, various Emotional Moodlets will appear or skills will raise.
- Cooking Channel: Watching it raises the Cooking skill, and Foodie Sims will gain Inspired +1 from watching it for long enough.
- Action: Watching it raises Fun.
- A parody on the Indiana Jones movies, which tells the story of an adventurer that ventures in a pyramid, then has to escape multiple traps. Afterwards, he is saved from a close call by a female, but then a mummy comes out and they both scream in fear. The movie ends on that note.
- A movie about a martial art master that wants to acquire a treasure, and then sneaks into the palace with it at night. She is then caught by the guard, and they fight for it. While the fight is going on, another fighter runs off with the treasure.
- Comedy: It raises Fun quicker than most channels, and raises the Comedy skill. Watching it for long enough grants a Playful +1 Moodlet.
- A stand-up comedian tries to tell jokes, but most of them fall flat. He then leaves the scene.
- A parody of The Tonight Show, a talk show between the host and a female guest.
- Romance: It raises Fun (faster for Romantic Sims), and watching it for long enough grants a Flirty +1 Moodlet.
- A movie based in the Chateau du Landgraab, a rich aristocratic family looks as their son leaves to marry the maid of their house, but gets in an accident midway. Several scenes of the engaged's family are then shown. It could be based on Downton Abbey, since some characters look similar.
- A movie about a doctor with a patient that is bound to die from a heart problem, but gets saved by a miracle during the operation. In the end, the patient's wife kisses the doctor, what possibly induced a cardiac stop in the patient. This could be based on Grey's Anatomy, given it is a romantic drama and the theme and apostrophe in the title are similar.
- News: It simply raises Fun, just like Action. This is the only channel which Snob Sims will not get bored by.
- A report from a protest, where a fight began during a misunderstanding.
- A report from a fire spot that started recently and is controlled by the firemen.
- A report of a meteor shower at an unknown beach.
- A report of aliens attacking a city, which ends by the camera turning off, the female reporter freaking out, then kissing the male reporter before an interruption.
- Sports: It raises Fun (faster for Active Sims), and Sims with the Bro trait gain an Energized +1 Moodlet from watching it.
- A football game, in which one team scores a goal before the next sequence.
- A trainer talking about her skating trainee, probably telling how good she is and making a hubris of herself.
- A basketball match, in which a player tries to dunk into the basket but fails. The other player fails the throw too, possibly resulting in a tie.
- A ping-pong match.
- Kids Network: It raises Fun for Children and Sims with the Childish Trait; The latter earn a Playful +1 Moodlet after watching for long enough.
- KFun Sho: A bunch of mascots singing. Mascots include a hotdog, a shark, a skeleton, a bee and a dinosaur.
- Fireplace Channel: As the name implies, it simply shows a fireplace. Only unlocked after the TV Upgrade. Its only use is to help to solve Tense moodlets and provide Fun, albeit at a slower rate.
- Music TV: Unlocked after the TV Upgrade, this channel mainly shows music clips. It provides Fun and Sims with the Music Lover trait can get Inspired from watching it.
- !#*%&$@%: Unlocked as an alien.
The Urbz: Sims in The CityEdit
The Television appears in the Urbz. There are three channels that show various static images. The channels are UTV, Reality and Gearheads.
One of the benefits of 1st World living is the high trash quality. Perfectly functional electronics are tossed just because they are out of style! Just pick 'em up and plug 'em in! TV for practically free! Now THAT'S livin'!
It can be bought at Gasoline Row.
"Boob tube? I keep turnin' the channels and I ain't seen any boobs yet. Are boobs only on cable? What's the deal? Is it a late night show or sumpthin'?"
It can be bought in Kicktail Park.
Excesutive Plasma TV Plasma TVEdit
Perfect focus. Perfect images. Perfect entertainment. Excesutive Consumer Electronics takes the "plasma phenom" to a brave new level in this pricey technology statement. With its incredible image quality, unique form and super status symbol screen...OH JUST BUY THE THING!
It can be bought on Cozmo Street.
Plasma TV's are nice, but take it up a notch with a wall-mounted gold-framed model. Increases floor space for elaborate dinner parties and decadent soirees, with added amusement of making insane TV shows look like "art."
It can be bought at Diamond Heights.
The Sims 2 & The Sims 2 Pets for ConsoleEdit
Televisions reappear in Sims 2 for console with the channels slightly being modified from The Urbz. There are three channels that are somewhat identical to the Urbz originals, but with different audio.
Cheapovision Television SetEdit
High definition? Try the V-hold. Plasma screen? Be glad you got glass screen. No cable, no video "in," none of that hype and clutter...just good old pure "TV" the way it was meant to be.
Trottco MultiVid TelevisionEdit
Keep yourself entertained with this truly tremendous television from Trottco. The picture-perfect tube broadcasts Reel Color images. Sonorous multi-channel audio both captivates and dazzles Sims on the sit. Comes with multiple A/V and gaming inputs. Who needs to go anywhere else when you've got Trottco? No one, that's who.
Blade Vision VERY High HD TVEdit
The next generation in HHD displays brings out details you've never seen before: individual droplets in a spring rainstorm ... the slimmest whisker in a basket full of kittens ... the faintest pockmarks on sitcom stars. Nothing is hidden from Blade Vision. You'll be licking your screen or no money back.
- In The Sims 2, some channels such as the Sims Broadcasting Network use video clips from SimCity 4 as well as clips from The Sims 2, which all channels use.
- On the Channel Trowler 27Deluxe TV and the Trottco 27" MultuVid IV Television, the word "Maxis" can be seen on the DVD box
- In The Sims 3, the TVs use video clips from The Sims 2 for their channels (except for the exercise channel which uses The Sims 3, Halls of History, The Sims 2 and elements from SimCity Societies).
- In The Sims 2, if the time is sped up and a television is on, the television won't speed up, but go at normal speed instead. However, in The Sims 3, if the time is sped up and a television is on, the television will speed up.
- In The Sims 3, all channels lack commercials.
- The music for the Super Shopping Network channel is the same as the Geeky house theme in MySims.
- In The Sims 2, users could place their own video clips in a special directory (much like custom Music) and these would play instead of the default clips. Clips had to be in AVI format to work.
- In The Sims 3, Sims as young as toddlers can watch TV.
- Many programs on the television in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 show Easter eggs[clarification needed]
- If you look closely at the second cheapest television from the base game, you can see games such as SimCity, The Sims, and MySims.
- The music heard from the gardening channel (Got Garden?) was Rumba Sal sul, one of the music from the radio.
- On the console version of The Sims 3, sometimes when a Sim switches on the TV, the TV will make no noise and there will be a static picture of the program they are watching, similar to The Sims. However, the fun motive will still go up as normal.
- In The Sims 4, text in the end credits of some of the in-game shows translate to "Made by the genious(sic) creators of Plumbob Pictures at Electronic Arts Redwood".