|The Sims 3||1.6.6|
Before installing an Update for The Sims 3, an Expansion Pack, or a Stuff Pack, it is a good idea to run through the following checklist to ensure your game continues to work smoothly.
If you have any questions about the below steps, please visit the Technical Support forum on the official Sims 3 community found at this URL: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/10.page
Step 1: Disable Custom Content
Custom content is all Sims content that did not come from an official The Sims 3 Update, The Sims 3 Store, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack. Custom Content is created by 3rd Party Developers that are not regulated by Electronic Arts or The Sims 3 Development Team and may not work with new updates. Custom Content may cause the game to behave unexpectedly or not function entirely.
To disable your custom content, undo whatever you did to install this content to get your game back into an unmodified state. If you placed it in a Sims 3 directory folder, move it to a new folder that is outside your Sims 3 file directory. Your Sims 3 file directory can be found using the paths listed below:
Windows XP Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
Windows Vista/7/8 Directory: C:\Users\USER\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
Mac File Directory: ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/
Once you have installed the official update you may re-enable your custom content. If you experience problems, disable it again until the 3rd party developer updates their content to work with the official Update, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack.
Step 2: Back Up your Save Files
It’s always a good precaution to back up your save files before installing an Expansion Pack, Update, or Stuff Pack. To do this, copy the “.sims3” folders found in the Saves folder onto your desktop or another file directory.
Your Sims 3 Saves folder can be found using the paths listed below:
Windows XP Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\USER\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
Mac File Directory: ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/Saves
After the Update is installed, run the game to verify your saves still function correctly.
Step 3: Let the Update Complete Entirely
Updates can sometimes be rather large and may take a while to download and install completely. Cancelling the update before it has completed may cause unexpected problems, so it is always best to let it finish entirely. Do not close the Launcher until you have confirmed the update is completely installed, as this will cancel the update.
- Base Game
- New Features
- Build/Buy Mode Additions:
- New Basement Tool: Basement Tool allows you to build basements up to 4 levels deep under your lot. The tool builds under the current level. If you’re underground already, you can hold the Shift key with the tool to build on the current level. Hold the Control key with the tool to delete basements.
- New Pagoda style roofs.
- Decorations may now be placed on roofs.
- Stairs functionality is now improved:
- Foundation walls can be adjusted with modular stairs attached.
- Stairs can be built over gaps.
- Placing stairs around objects that block their placement now give appropriate error messages.
- Stairs can be above and below each other.
- Stairs, fences, and gates can now be customized with textures, as well as being saved and shared with others.
- 'Sell All' option for a Family’s inventory.
- Ghosts will now route through walls.
- Players now have ability to change the song track on stereos.
- Favorite choices in Create-A-Sim area can now be bookmarked for future use.
- Following keyboard combinations will now adjust camera rotating and tilt: CTRL+Arrow Keys; CTRL+WASD
- Babies, toddlers, and children now have new animations available:
- Child giving bottle to toddler
- Child feeding toddler in high chair
- Child reading to toddlers
- Child stealing candy from toddler
- Child and toddler hugging
- New shy kiss
- Child to toddler peek-a-boo
- Children fighting
- New irritate
- Declare nemesis
- Build/Buy Mode Additions:
- Gameplay Changes
- New Lessons have been added to assist new players with some of the more complex base-game concepts.
- Sims will now dream while sleeping by displaying thought balloons.
- When a baby is about to be born, the hospital now has a map tag on it with the appropriate interactions.
- Once a Sim owns a Diner or Bistro, food and drink at those restaurants will be free.
- When a Sim picks up an Unknown Uncommon Seed, there is now a tool tip to notify Player what to do with it.
- Fixed a rare case where the ‘Wugglesworth Schnuggles Bear’ would not appear in the family inventory upon moving a household if it occurs during “Talk through” interaction.
- ‘Delete’ and ‘Save as Custom’ buttons function properly when Player presses CTRL+Z after selecting a different pattern under the same preset within the ‘Accessories’ ‘Clothing’ panel.
- When throwing a Wedding Party, the Sim’s fiancé will be automatically invited.
- Sims will now not run indoors.
- When viewing inside neighbors’ windows, their furnishings will be visible.
- Having a relationship with a specific Service NPC increases the chance they will arrive to handle their particular service job.
- Sims living together will now automatically know each other from the start.
- Fruit trees originally planted in community lots may now be transplanted anywhere else.
- All relevant socials on Maid Service NPC are now available when they are cleaning an object.
- Autonomous interactions based on Sim’s jealousy have been balanced.
- Sim now cannot move mailboxes when cutting gems or mounting fish.
- When a Sim brings a new friend home from school, they are immediately Acquaintances and “Introduction” social interactions are removed.
- Game speed will automatically increase when a Sim is in jail.
- Undoing an outfit deletion from the dresser restores the proper outfit.
- Non-Kleptomaniac Sims will not take and put away portable fire pits that belong to community lots.
- Cars, bikes and scooters can now only be placed on a Sim’s home lot.
- Fixed issue where NPC Ghosts would leave a lot late at night via running off lot, taxi, or car, instead of returning to gravestone in morning.
- Fixed issue where Sims could not fish in ponds on their lots if the lot was surrounded by water.
- Fix for a rare case in which objects could disappear from a lot while a fire is burning and a Sim expires.
- Selling ingredients by recipe will have same price as individual ingredients.
- Ambrosia ingredients can no longer be copied to another Sim’s inventory while the Sim is preparing Ambrosia.
- Sims will now prepare ingredient-named recipes randomly based on the ingredients available in the refrigerator.
- Fixed some cases where it was possible for Sims to pickup objects through walls.
- Birthday Cake will now continue working even when Aging option is turned off.
- Only one Grim Reaper will appear on a lot where more than one death has occurred.
- Fix for occasional bad animation playing when placing a toddler into a crib.
- Improvements were made to car preference.
- Fix for possible missing animation when playing with ‘Wugglesworth Schnuggles Bear’ toy.
- Fix for rare animation problem during clean up.
- Sims can no longer be placed in the family inventory with the ‘MoveObjects’ cheat.
- City Hall clock will display correct time after moving building to a different lot.
- Deed will not disappear from Sim’s inventory after performing an “Ask to Move In” interaction.
- Moodlets and Traits
- Hopeless Romantic Sims will not autonomously flirt when they are heartbroken.
- Sims with Frugal trait now receives ‘Got a Good Deal’ buff when using a coupon at the day spa.
- Fix for a rare case where a teen Sim could have the ‘Out after Curfew’ moodlet permanently after aging up.
- Fixed issue where a lot with the ‘Beautiful Vista’ Moodlet would not persist across any houses built on that same lot.
- Fixed issue where Sims could not gain ‘No Sense of Humor’ trait when manually increasing Sim’s age with aging disabled.
- Sims descended from Firefighters (aka ‘Fireproof Sim’) will react properly to fires on lot.
- Sims with ‘Mooch’ trait will not have “Mooch Food” interaction on their own refrigerators.
- Skills and Careers
- Small fixes to Writing Skill Journal statistic tracking.
- Changing workout intensity while in progress now updates Skill level bar as appropriate.
- When moving retired Sims to multiple lots, they will only receive their retirement pension one time.
- Money Tree’s harvested quality now appears in the Gardening Skill Journal.
- At Level 10 of the music career the performance bar no longer appears.
- Learned songs from the Guitar Skill are now properly exported and saved on a Sim.
- Statistics in ‘Athletic’ Skill Journal will update properly when using ‘Use Workout Facility’ work tone in Law Enforcement Career.
- Sims on maternity leave cannot be put ‘On Call’ by their careers.
- Sims without the Cooking Skill may now continue preparing recipes if they stopped before a recipe is completed.
- “Throw party at…” option is no longer available if no rentable spaces exist in the neighborhood.
- Sims can no longer perform mean socials to children.
- Sims can now fish from floor tiles not placed on land; for example, a dock made from foundation pieces.
- Sim interactions are now available between two Sims sitting in two different rooms.
- When two Sims are gardening and approach the same plant, the second Sim will move to another plant.
- When the Repoman comes into a Sim’s bedroom while they are sleeping, the Sim will now wake up and have a “Freakout” reaction.
- If a Sim is trying to sleep in a room where a Stereo or TV is on, the Sim will turn it off first.
- “Change Appearance” interaction is now available when Sims are wearing their career outfits.
- When cleaning dishes, Sims are more likely to use dishwasher if one is present.
- Child and Teen Sims will not autonomously sit down in the street to do homework.
- When a Sim starts to dance to a stereo that is already on, the station will not change.
- All socials now available on other Sims as they are leaving buildings.
- “Cure” and “Zap” interactions no longer available for Toddlers or Children when Moodlet Manager is in their inventory.
- Canceling social interactions with current Sim no longer cancels queued-up socials with other Sims.
- Expectant mothers can now ask doctors to determine baby gender.
- When Sim uses “Speak Madness” interaction with another Sim, reaction will be negative unless the designated Sim is Insane or has a high relationship with the Sim who initiated the interaction.
- All appropriate socials now appear when sitting to play chess or use computer.
- Lights now turn off in room if two Sims are sleeping and one leaves.
- When queuing up actions for a couple after “Woo-hooing” and falling asleep, Sims will complete actions after waking up as normal, not immediately.
- NPC Sims will properly respond to “Invite to Join Conversation” interactions even if they are not in the designated lot.
- “Serve Food” interaction will appear on Yummer’s High Chair after placing a Food Processor in the lot.
- Queuing up actions after Player directs Sim to chat on the phone will not cancel phone call.
- Sims will not autonomously choose socials that are not currently possible or available.
- “Coo over Children” interactions will not be available to children to use.
- “Name” interaction will remain on painted canvases after moving lots.
- Fixed instance where “Contemplate Surroundings” interaction would not remain in the action queue for Sims with the ‘Genius’ trait until it is completed.
- “Check Fireplace” interaction will work even if a fireplace is not lit.
- Urns will appear properly in a Sim’s inventory after the “Restore Ghost” interaction.
- “Boost Channel” Handiness Skill will not be available if Sim owns a high end TV with all channels.
- Can now feed all fish in a lot when there are multiple fish present.
- Mail Carriers will properly leave a “Hang Out” if their needs require it.
- If a Babysitter arrives via a “Call Babysitter” dialog box action, the babysitter will not just disappear when a Sim returns.
- Interactions are still available on a completed painting after the painting Sim dies.
- Sims can continue to finish an unfinished painting if they are ever interrupted.
- When there is a fire on the player’s lot, “Call Fire Department” will appear as the only option on the cell phone’s pie menu.
- When a Service NPC is leaving a lot, the “Invite to Join Conversation” interaction is now unavailable.
- Sim will properly complete the interaction to “Watch Sim Change Shape” on the body sculptor.
- “Jog Here” Interaction will not appear when selecting a pool.
- “Get Help From…” and “Work on Late Homework” Interactions will not be available if “Do Homework” Interaction is unavailable.
- “Kick it up a Notch” option no longer available on ‘Perfect Quality’ dishes.
- Wishes and Opportunities
- Both parents receive credit now for “Teach …” Wishes when only one parent teaches the child.
- Pregnancy related Wishes are now cleared if not fulfilled during pregnancy.
- Reward for “Forensic Analysis” interaction now rewards 1000 simoleons after interaction completes.
- Sim will not receive ‘Get Ingredients for Ratatouille’ after already having the required ingredients in their inventory.
- Player no longer receives ‘Become More Muscular’ Wish when their muscularity level is at maximum.
- ‘Taking Skill Class’ Wishes now apply until Sim reaches Level 10 or has already completed class.
- The ‘Donating $xxx to undermine charity’ Wish is properly removed when a Sim’s trait changes from ‘Evil’ to ‘Good’.
- “Ask Child for Campaign Donation” interaction properly appears in order to fulfill ‘Ask Child Sim for Campaign Donation’ Wish.
- Earning exactly 25 simoleons will fulfill ‘Earn 25 Simoleons in Tips’ Wish.
- Guitar Skill will increase when satisfying the ‘In the End’ Opportunity by playing at a business office party
- Reaching Level 10 of the Business Career will fulfill the ‘Reach the Top of Business Career’ Wish.
- ‘The R.H.A.T. Race’ and ‘A H.O.R.S.E. of Course’ Opportunities have been adjusted to be easier.
- Opportunity to sell a painting twice in order to earn twice the money has been eliminated.
- Sims that have learned all recipes will not receive the ‘Buy a New Recipe’ Wish.
- ‘See <Sim> Become a Doctor’ Wish is now fulfilled after the target Sim becomes a ‘Resident Doctor’ via ‘Change Career’ Opportunity.
- ‘Earn xxx Simoleons’ Wish can be fulfilled by earning simoleons through available Opportunities.
- ‘Conduct Research’ Opportunity may be fulfilled on any personal computers in Sim’s home, even if purchased after Opportunity is received.
- ‘Chess Tournament’ Opportunity description now includes the ending time.
- ‘Audio Study’ Opportunity description now states it can be satisfied by playing or listening to a guitar.
- Build/Buy Mode
- New sorting categories have been added to the Build/Buy menus: Displays, Roof Decorations
- Various fixes have been made to object thumbnails.
- Object catalog now displays while cloning any object in the community lot.
- Lights will now turn on/off when toggling the Day/Night button. When returning to Live Mode, lights will return to state appropriate for time of day.
- Footprint for three tile windows now appears properly when placed at an angle.
- Counters will no longer be connected through walls.
- Appropriate feedback messages now appear for objects that cannot be placed on community lots.
- Fences can now be placed at pool boundaries.
- Placing pillars near steep walls will no longer turn those walls to water.
- Deleting floor tiles under foundations function correctly on lots with pools or ever contained a pool.
- Objects will no longer delete if pressing mouse buttons while moving objects on lot.
- Outdoor lights may be placed on fence posts.
- Up and Down Floor buttons will now appear disabled when on the top or bottom floor respectively.
- Male Sims can now wear up to three earrings on one ear.
- Color swatches now highlight when selected.
- Deleted Sim portraits will not appear again when Player creates new Sim in a previously deleted Sims slot.
- ‘Delete’ and ‘Share’ buttons will not highlight if there is no custom content available.
- The correct selections will highlight after undoing a choice.
- ‘Hair’ tab’s ‘Change Color’ panel will properly disappear after exiting ‘Change Appearance’ screen.
- Players can no longer access Edit Town mode while in Create-a-Style mode.
- Can now change an entire wall’s covering with a single mouse click. Single tiles can be changed by holding down the SHIFT key while clicking the mouse.
- UI & Controls
- Inventory tab size may now be manually expanded for easier browsing.
- Tooltips have been adjusted to not be cut off by the screen edge.
- When shopping for books or groceries, the item quantity is no longer grayed out when selecting the item from the sell tab.
- You can now press TAB to change between the RGB and Hex color modification fields.
- ‘Stackable’ items now appear as a single item with a quantity in the family inventory when moving.
- When roasting items at the fire pit, the items in the selection UI will now stack based on type and quality.
- Relationship information panel no longer lists retired Sims as ‘Unemployed’.
- Build Mode Level Tool feedback has been improved.
- Fixes for various buttons’ highlight states.
- ‘Autograph Session’ description now lists how long until another autograph session is available after completing a session.
- “Rocks and Gems” interaction on the ‘Collection Helper’ Lifetime Reward will display correct map tags when rotating lots.
- Grim Reaper relationship will only appear once in Relationship Panel if there is more than one death occurring on a lot.
- A warning will appear during uninstall explaining that the custom music folder will be deleted.
- Various Inventory optimizations.
- Various text and grammar fixes.
- Game Engine Improvements
- Items moved manually to the ‘Downloads’ folder will now show up in the game launcher’s ‘Downloads’ screen.
- Updated lot loading to more gracefully handle loading when visiting town NPCs.
- Routing of Sims around groups, in homes and through community lots has improved.
- Service NPCs now have the appropriate number of traits for their age.
- Object states are now retained when importing and exporting between towns.
- Camera movement and speed control has been improved.
- Game will no longer freeze when pressing CTRL+Z while sharing a CAS outfit.
- Household descriptions will update properly when a Sim moves into another house.
- Various fixes for some rare route failure situations.
- There is now a distance check for playing the video game system.
- Art Improvements
- Shaders used on torch flames are improved.
- Mirrors will now always reflect wall objects, even with Walls Down or Cutaway.
- Lighting of outdoors at dusk has been improved for lower-end video cards.
- Some hairstyles and accessories have been modified to eliminate white lines or blank areas from appearing.
- Roofs have been adjusted as to not cut through walls.
- Sound volume on objects now adjusts depending on whether the Walls toggle is set to Up, Down, or Cutaway.
- Sound volume will gradually change depending on the camera’s distance from an object.
- Footstep sounds will now change depending on the ground type the Sim is walking on (i.e. stone, gravel, etc.).
- Increased minimum sound radius around vehicles to prevent the sound from panning rapidly left and right.
- Water sprinkler SFX will cease when moving sprinklers on a lot.
- Improvements made to the audio system to address the possible situation in which audio dropped out over long-term play.
- Mac specific
- After exiting the game, desktop icons appear in same location as at game start.