University Life's theme is college, very similar to that in The Sims 2: University, thus giving the Sims a "college experience" while at university. It has brought many returning features from The Sims 2's expansion packs, as well as introduced new features for The Sims 3. The pack and its world are Seasons-compatible.
- Help your Sims make the grade: Your Sim can broadcast their own radio show as a Communications major or bone up on anatomy with a skeleton for the Science and Medicine major. New major-specific objects, social activities and student union lectures make learning more fun than ever.
- Let loose and party: Host a bonfire by the lake, or throw a wild Juice Kegger party. There are lots of ways to have a great time at university.
- Make connections and network: Text, blog and stream video to build that all-important social network. Join one of the three groups on campus—the nerds, the rebels, and the jocks, then develop your cred with special activities. Become a legend in your group and you could earn a dream job or a coveted extra trait.
- Reap the benefits of higher education: University graduate Sims can move up the career ladder more easily with faster promotions and higher entry-level jobs.
- Explore the Campus and Town: Strike out at the bowling alley, flirt with the barista at the Roasted Toasted Beans or browse comic books at Keith’s Komics. There’s a whole new town and campus full of places to explore.
- University - Sims University
Sims University is a new sub-neighborhood (similar to the sub-neighborhoods in World Adventures) and its university buildings are New England-inspired with some European influences. Its animal mascot is a llama.
An NPC mascot will arrive at your Sims' lot with a University kit that includes a banner, a T-shirt, and an aptitude test. Your Sim can keep this kit in the personal inventory or put it anywhere in the house. The results of the aptitude test (which can be taken as many times as desired) will depend on their skills, traits, work experience and school grades, influencing how much financial assistance they can get. The results also show the total aptitude score, along with the sub-scores for the majors and credit award.
Enrolling in university can be done at any time via the phone or the computer. Players will be able to choose their Sims' major and how many credits to take, which affects the length of time the Sims will spend at university before completing a degree. The Sims may only study one major at a time, but they can enroll in university after completing one major in order to study another. They can also customize the duration of the Sims' term in university, 1 week being the minimum and 2 weeks the maximum.
When a Sim gets in the university, the Work tab on the UI is replaced with the Academics tab. It keeps records of his/her schedule and responsibilities. The schedule will depend on the Sim's degree and how many credits the Sim has.
During your Sim's university stay, time will stop in the main neighborhood. Sims cannot marry one another and female Sims cannot get or be pregnant while at University. Married Sims cannot visit each other while one is away at University, but they may talk on the phone. If a parent goes to University, a babysitter will come to their lot and take care of the children. Sims use their family funds to pay for tuition and rent. Sims can also get additional funds at the administration center depending on their academic performance. Sims need to have at minimum 35% of their academic performance in order to apply for aid. They can get from §1,750 up to §5,000 each time they apply for aid. Sims need to wait for another 24 hours to apply for another aid.
On the first day in Sims University at noon, a "meet-and-greet" orientation is held at the student union, where Sims can "get to know" one another and get free items at stands.
Classes start on the first Monday morning. On Mondays and Wednesdays, classes are held on one of the university rabbit-hole buildings. They are seminar-styled, which varies from "Introduction to Dodging Questions" to "Methods and Practices of Tragic Clowns", which are chosen randomly when enrolled. Players are able to choose a variety of tones in these classes, which affects the Sims' academic performances. Some of the tones are: "Socialize" and "Suck Up to the Professor". The Sims can ask a Sim to attend their classes, but by doing so, the professor may notice.
As lecture halls are open, and therefore interactive. This feature differs from The Sims 2: University, where Sims would attend classes off-lot and could not be interacted with while at class.
On Tuesdays/Thursdays, lectures are held in the student union building, and Sims can interact with the professors. They can ask questions, take notes, and sleep through the lecture, and these actions affect their academic performances. Sims can also do class activities, also held on Tuesdays/Thursdays, which give Sims a chance to use academic objects to gain knowledge relating to their major. Sims can schmooze with their professors to ask for extra credit.
Although Sims are allowed to skip classes for at maximum two days, more frequent occurrences result in punishment.
Sims can apply for Day Jobs, Social Group Jobs, and Dares in University, which they can find by looking on the Bulletin Boards located in Fraternities, Sororities, and Dormitories. They look similar to the Adventure Boards in World Adventures. Accomplishing these tasks can earn you Simoleons and Social Group influence.
Sims need to have a high academic performance, achieved through studying, paying attention at classes and lectures, and enhanced by a Sim's existing skills.
Examinations will occur on Fridays. Sims can study from textbooks, computers and smartphones, or create a study group with up to three other Sims (four total). They can also cheat on the examinations by making a study sheet and using the "Cheat" tone, but they might get caught. Sims with a high computer hacking skill can find examination answers the day before that examination on a computer. There is also a final examination. Minimal studying and a poor mood will likely result in a failing grade. Failing it will make a major impact on their final grade.
Sims can drop out of university, but this may affect their life in some way. They can be kicked out of a class for cheating, but not out of the university, although they can lose their scholarship.
Graduations happen after Sims complete their major, the times varying based on major and when the Sim began to attend university. The time needed to graduate will depend on how many classes the Sim takes. Sims graduating will don graduation robes and mortar boards. If Sims graduate from university, they will get an extra trait slot and career benefits, depending on major. The grades will affect the advantages, therefore Sims with higher grades will get more bonuses, while Sims with lower grades will never get any benefits.
Graduated Sims who want to meet the Sims from university can call them to have them visit their home town. These Sims from university are called "university friends", which functions similarly to "foreign friends" in World Adventures.
- University buildings
Some of the university buildings are built inside of shells, similar to Late Night's apartment building shells, where the interior can be customized while the exterior cannot.
The buildings can be added on any home worlds, but they function as rabbit holes with new interactions, thus this will not serve as a real university.
Sims can study for majors in Business, Science and Medicine, Technology, Physical Education, Fine Arts and Communications.
They will receive a study object which helps them to improve their academic performance.
|Major||Name of study object||Interactions|
|Communications||Frequency Fun Mobile Radio Station||Conduct interviews and report on events within campus/the world|
|Business||Workface Warrior Business Planner||Work On Business Plan/Present Business Plan|
|Science and Medicine||"Them Bones" Anatomy Skeleton||Bone Up on Anatomy, Test Skeletal Structure|
|Technology||Cerebralizing Brain Enhancing Machine (has two versions)||Study Brain|
|Physical Education||"Them Bones" Anatomy Skeleton||(Same as Science and Medicine)|
|Fine Arts||Sketchbook||Practice Sketching, sketch other Sims|
- New lot types
Home World Residential
The java hut assignment in University Life is different from the Coffeehouse assignment from Showtime. While the java hut has an interior with a barista bar which is interactive, the Coffeehouse does not. The shop will open from 9am to 1am.
Hobby shops are open from 8am to 2am.
- New lots
- B's Bowlarama - Arcade
- Keith's Komics - Nerd Shop
- Roasted Toasted Beans Coffee Shop - Java Hut
- The Grotto - Rebel Hangout
- New rabbitholes
- 25 Frames Cinema - Theater
- Nigh Owl Foods - Supermarket
- Schmidt Memorial Stadium & Annex - Stadium
- University Bookstore - Bookstore
- Busche School of Science
- Nichols School of Business
- St. John Administration Center
- Thomas School of Art
- New living quarters
- Dormitories (Dorms)
- Sororities and fraternities
- Individual houses
- Apartments (home world only)
Dormitories can be built and edited through Edit Town mode. These dormitories will automatically fill in with Sims acting as roommates.
Sims can rent a dorm room or pay and rent an individual house in Sims University. Renting a house is more expensive than living in dorms. Unlike The Sims 2: University, dorms are completely customizable. Players can "set bed ownership" for the Sims by clicking a bed. Sims can kick out their roommates, or request for roommate reassignments (only in University).
Sims do not pay bills while in University. However, they do earn money if they have roommates (only applies to in rent houses in University). How much money a Sim earns depends on how many roommates they have.
Sorority houses are for female Sims while fraternity houses are for male Sims. These houses are more for the social side of the Sims' university life. Sims living in these houses are likely to be dared to do some actions by other Sims.
Apartment lots are similar to dormitories. but Sims living in apartments pay the rent each week. The rent cost is determined by the overall value of the lot.
- Social groups
Social groups are groups of Sims who usually socialize with one another and have particularly similar interests, skills, and attitudes. Your Sim can gain influence with as many of these groups they desire. These groups still exist outside of the university. To learn a Sim's social group, hover over the Sim with the mouse.
Sims can choose to join the three social groups: nerds, jocks, and rebels. They can be in more than one social group, and the groups are optional to join. Interacting with a Sim in a certain social group may result in your Sim gaining influence with that group, even if not intended.
The Jocks like to win anything. They usually hang out at B's Bowlarama in Sims University where they practice bowling. They can also throw parties which are considered the best around the university.
The Rebels like to stand apart from the crowd. They usually hang out at The Grotto, a hangout with a new pool table. They work on their Painting and Street Art skills, as they usually tag walls on the university and drink organic brew from barista bars. They like to add herbs to their drinks and they are known for organizing protests on campus.
The Nerds like to be smart. They usually hang out at Keith's Komics in Sims University which is an ideal hangout for the nerds as it has hobbies which they can enjoy such as computers, arcade machines and comics. They love to play video games, perform research from their majors, and win trivia challenges.
Sims can hang out with these groups and gain credibility, which can offer advantages to them, such as lifetime rewards and unlock new social interactions. To check their current status to the groups, there is the "Check Social Groups" interaction on the Sims' smartphones.
- New careers
If the Sims become a legend with their social group, they may land a career like:
- Nerds - Video game developer
- Rebels - Art appraiser
- Jocks - Sports Agent
- New NPCs
- Llama Mascot
The Llama Mascot will drop off a package with freebies in your Sims' residential lot. It will also provide an aptitude test for them. Being friends with the mascot can lead to apprenticeship and your Sim will learn some dance moves.
A barista works in a Java Hut.
- PlantSims cannot be created in Create a Sim, however Sims can become PlantSims through eating a Forbidden Fruit or taking part in a science experiment at university.
- PlantSims have special relationships with plants and can converse with harvestable plants.
- PlantSims do not need to eat, but need to keep hydrated. They can keep hydrated by absorbing water through activities such as swimming, bathing, absorbing puddles and photosynthesizing.
- A PlantSim's Flower Kisses cause obsession and their Poisonous Kisses cause sickness in Sims.
- PlantSims can be in households. It is possible but rare to meet a random PlantSim around town. They can be grown.
- New interactions
- Sims will be able to streak, a feature from The Sims 2: University.
- Sims can chant the college song and "perform school cheer", a feature from The Sims 2: University. (Jocks only)
- Sims can protest.
There are new romantic options in University Life. Some of these are kiss interactions. These kiss interactions are "Heat of the Moment Kiss", "Juiced Kiss" and "Cinnamon Kiss", which can spice the relationship a bit higher than a normal kiss.
Sims can convince roommate Sims to do things for them. They must have a good relationship with them in order to do so successfully.
They can tag a wall or draw murals of varying sizes using a street art kit. Sometimes, it can trigger the police's attention, unless you're creating commissioned street art.
Sims can get two extra trait slots. One for reaching level 8 in a social group and one for graduating with a degree.
The standard phone in the Sims' inventory is replaced with a smartphone, which looks like a Blackberry 10 or Android smartphone. This smartphone comes with a variety of new skins to apply, which are unlocked as the skill level grows. It functions the same as the standard phone, but with new features such as:
- Social networking (texting, blogging, browsing the web, streaming a video, etc.)
- Take photos
- Self-portrait photos or photos with other Sims (requires Jock influence)
- Romantic photos with a kiss
By taking these photos, the player has the option to either print them out and hang them on a wall, or keep them stored in the smartphone. Photos that are not taken out of a Sim's smartphone before the Sim leaves University will be erased from the phone.
Sims can also send texts on their Smartphones. They can send secret admirer texts, insulting texts, woohooty texts, breakup texts or friendly texts.
- New traits
Certain traits can now affect how well a student does in University. For example, Ambitious Sims will excel at University, while Absent-Minded Sims will have a harder time. Social Butterflys will benefit in the pursuit of a Communications Degree, while Shy Sims would not be wise to do so. Check CAS for more information.
- New skills
- Social networking
The social networking features work in smartphones. The skill can be increased by browsing the web from the phone, streaming a video, texting, and blogging, and by doing so, Sims will unlock new social networking interactions.
In blogging, Sims can select a blog theme and attach photos to their blogs. The more they blog, the more followers they get (or lose), which helps to gain influence with social groups faster, have better attended protests and get more Simoleons for donation and buyouts of their blog.
As Sims build this skill, they unlock different smartphone applications in their smartphones. Such applications are:
- Sim Finder - helps Sims to easily find an unmet Sim
- Relationship Transmogrifier - set any relationship status to any Sim
- Death by Blunt Force Trauma (Murphy Bed/Vending Machine)
- Death by Ranting (Protest Against Death)
- New WooHoo spot
- Murphy bed
- New lifetime reward
- Social Group Influence (2,000 LP) - Gain a substantial amount of influence with the (Rebel/Jock/Nerd) group.
- Honorary Degree (50,000 LP) - Pick a degree of your choice without attending University!
- New lifetime wishes
- Perfect Student - Earn a university degree with a perfect GPA.
- Scientific Specialist - Reach level 10 in Science skill and reach level 10 in any Scientific, Medical, or Business career.
- Street Credible - Reach level 10 of Street Art skill and create 7 masterpiece murals.
- Major Master - Earn three degrees
- Reach Max Influence with All Social Groups - Reach max influence with all social groups.
- Blog Artist - Reach level 10 in Social Networking skill and create a five-star blog.
- New Create-A-Sim items
- New tattoos
- New skin tone - PlantSim green
- New music
- Geek Rock
- New party types
- Bonfire Party
- Juice Kegger
- Masquerade (Limited Edition)
- Toga Party (Limited Edition)
- Arcade Table
- Frequency Fun Mobile Radio Station (Communication)
- Foosball Table
- Internal Reflections Sketchbook (Fine Arts)
- Juice Keg Stand
- Ping Pong Table
- Roentgen Register (allows sims to buy comic books)
- Soccer Ball
- Street Art Kit
- "Them Bones" Anatomy Skeleton (Science & Medicine)
- Welcome Kit
- Workforce Warrior Business Planner (Business)
- ZRX-9000 Science Research Station (Technology)
To put on your backpack, either select it in the personal inventory or click on your Sim and select "Put on backpack."
Two Sims can do a keg stand at the juice keg stand.
- Arcade machines
- Barista Bar
- Bowling alley
- Bunk Beds
- Kicky Bag
- Mini Fridge
- Murphy bed
- Photo booth
- Vending machines
Sims roast food on the bonfire or throw things into the flames. Throwing something on the bonfire will give positive or negative results, for example, a test tube will cause a Sim to be smelly.
Sims can do bowling moves at the bowling alley.
Vending machines can malfunction, but can work again if they are shaken. Sims who do this have a chance of dying of "blunt force trauma".
- New games
- Ping Pong
- Juice Pong
- New food and drinks
|Organic Brew||Herbal Teas||Energy Drinks||Hot Beverage||Food|
|Chamomile Kick||Soy Cappuccino||Brownie|
|Sweet Grass||Greenleafpalooza||Chai with Extra Foam||
|Cinnamon||Peppermint Party||Non-Fat Chai||Donut|
|Basil||Garlicious||Strawberry Soy Cappuccino with Extra Foam||Bagel|
|Lavender||In Your Face Lime||Non-Fat Chai with Cinnamon Swirl||Muffin|
|Peppermint||Spud Suds Shock||Strawberry Non-Fat Frothiccino with Chocolate Sprinkles||Key Lime Pie|
|Wonderpetal||Watermelon Mushroom Cloud||Cheese Danish|
|Chamomile||Licorice Energsplosion||Slice of Cake|
|Licorice||Ridiculous Red Apple|
- Herbs are used to make herbal tea and can be thrown on a bonfire to create funny effects.
- Sims can add herbs to any meal if they have any in their inventory.
- Each herb can affect Sims in different ways.
- Using too many herbs make Sims sick and cause nausea.
- Sims can do the cinnamon challenge.
- New collectibles
- Original Edition - only contains original content
- Limited Edition - Original Edition with "The Party Pack Bundle" which include the Partaeus Maximus statue
Get The Party Started with The Party Pack Bundle
• Set the Mood—and the Theme
• Install a Campus Icon
- Origin Exclusive Pre Order - Limited Edition with pre-order content when you order University Life through Origin
ORIGIN EXCLUSIVE ITEMS
• Campus Cruiser Get to your classes on time and in style on this sleek, modern scooter.
• Head of the Class Your Sims can sport this classic, low-maintenance look that says they didn't have time to do their hair because they were up late studying—or partying!
• “You Got Spirit” Face Paint Get ready for the big game and make sure everyone knows your allegiance by wearing your school colors—on your face.
• Mascot Magic Face Paint Some say painting the fierce, fighting llama on your face does not actually impact the outcome of the game. You know different. Do you want to win or what?
In links (mostly from SimsVIP):
- New University Screenshots
- Even More University Screenshots!
- SF Magazine’s Sims 3 Community Day Screens
- Sims 3 University “Lessons” Screenshots
- Centrum Simow's University Screenshots
- For the first time in The Sims 3, the intro will feature the Maxis logo as well as the EA logo.
- Live broadcasts
- The second live broadcast showcasing University Life was about to be on February 14, 2013 at 10am PST, but due to technical difficulties, the producers answered questions from the community during the livestream. The demonstration of University Life was released on March 1, 2013 and can be found on YouTube.
- There was an community day planned where members of the community are invited to play the game in the United Kingdom, but it was changed into a Q&A session.
- Official Site
- Sims 3 University Life Achievements - SimsVIP
- EA Launches The Sims 3 University Life - SimVIP
- TS3 Blogs
- The Sims 3 University Life Intro - SimGuruKarsky
- Irresistible to Socially Awkward: A Social Life for Every Sim! - SimGuruLauren
- More of your University Life Questions answered! - SimGuruHydra (answered by SimGuruArgus)
- Academics: A Guide to Making the Grade - SimGuruBritt
- The Sims 3 University Life: Building, PlantSims, and Additional Fun Facts - SimGuruBritt
- Forum Posts
- What we know about UNIVERSITY LIFE - bosslaydee
- Sims 3 University Life - 06Bon06
- What I learned at the Nordic Event - Pulversoppa
- Sims 3 University Life Fact Sheet & Official Screens - SimsVIP
- The Sims 3 University Life review - On Games
- Sims 3 University/Island Paradise Fansite Previews - SimsVIP
- ↑ Confirmation of PlantSims (TS3 Twitter)
- ↑ EA Announces The Sims 3 University! (SimsVIP)
- ↑ Sims experience 'University Life' March 5 (Joystiq)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 More of your University Life Questions answered! (TS3 Blog)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Academics: A Guide to Making the Grade (TS3 Blog)
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 Sims 3 Community Day: February 2013 (SimsVIP)
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 SimsVIP’s University Life Q&A & Exclusive Screens (SimsVIP)
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 The Sims 3 University Life: Building, PlantSims, and Additional Fun Facts (TS3 Blog)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The Sims 3 University Life Intro (TS3 Blog)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Irresistible to Socially Awkward: A Social Life for Every Sim! (TS3 Blog)
- ↑ University Life: Two New Death Types/Ghosts (SimsVIP)
- ↑ Ask Your Sims 3 University Questions! (SimsVIP) (Dead link)
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims 3: 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff
January 22, 2013
|The Sims series PC games|| Followed by|
The Sims 3: Island Paradise
June 25, 2013
The Sims 3: Seasons
November 13, 2012
|The Sims 3 expansion packs|
|The Sims series expansion packs|