The Sims 4 is the fourth installment of The Sims franchise. On Monday, May 6th 2013, Maxis confirmed that it will be released on Mac and PC in 2014. The release date was pushed back somewhat, and The Sims 4 is now set to release late in 2014.
The original game announcement reads:
The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world’s most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.
The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience. The Sims 4 encourages players to personalize their world with new and intuitive tools while offering them the ability to effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans.
They say that the eyes are the window into the soul, let’s just say that these eyes are a window into our future. We can’t wait to show you more.
The Sims™ 4 is the highly anticipated life simulation game that lets you play with life like never before. Create new Sims with intelligence and emotion, whose every action is informed and affected by their interactions and emotional states. Experience all new intuitive and fun creative tools. Sculpt your Sims in Create A Sim and construct unique homes with the tactile room-based Build Mode. Control the mind, body, and heart of your Sims with dynamic, emotion-rich gameplay, and bring your stories to life.
- New Sims – Create and control more intelligent, more relatable, and emotionally rich Sims.
- Intelligence – Your Sims move and act more naturally than ever before, from multitasking to expressing their emotions by the way they walk. Choose the personalities of your Sims, select their aspirations, and explore the depth of their lifelong goals through your Sims' thoughts, social skills, careers, and memories.
- Emotional Depth – For the first time, Sims feel and express emotions. Your Sims can experience a diverse range and depth of emotional states and are influenced through other Sims, actions, events, memories, or even by the clothing and objects you choose. Emotions offer you more choice by giving you the opportunity to create richer stories with even more possibilities.
- New Creative Tools – Create A Sim and Build are more powerful, intuitive, and fun than ever before. You have the freedom to sculpt Sims with tactile precision. Effortlessly construct the home of your dreams with the all new room-based Build Mode.
- Vibrant Neighborhoods – Choose among brilliant and diverse lots for your Sims to live in. Vivid visuals bring your Sim’s home to life.
- Rich Rewards – Earn new objects, outfits, and traits by completing events, discovering collectibles, and unlocking achievements.
- Share Your Creations – Share your Sims’ households with your friends and the community. Download community creations for an all-new look.
After the July 23 live broadcast, in which The Sims 4 teasers were shared by The Sims Team, the official Sims Facebook page updated with more teasers and details on The Sims 4 game features and the big reveal at Gamescom.
So far, these features have been teased (this does not, however, prove that these features will actually be in the game; this is only speculation of what the images represent):
- Returning objects from previous games in the series, examples are punching bags and tiki-styled objects;
- Multitasking, such as drinking and talking at the same time;
- Advanced options when choosing clothes and outfits;
- Molding and sculpting the faces and bodies of Sims in Create a Sim;
- More body shaping options, such as hip sliders;
- Different accessories 'work' with any outfit and hairstyle;
- Expressive Sims with different opinions that vary on personality;
- Advanced Party options and possibly more 'alive' parties;
- "Wild parties" with DJs and glowsticks
- Open restaurants;
Gamescom Reveal and LeakEdit
It was confirmed at the June 18 live broadcast (and July 23 live broadcast, regarding August 22, 2013) that The Sims 4 will have a huge reveal, including a trailer), at Gamescom on August 20, 2013 (14:00 UTC) and a further preview on August 22, 2013 at (15:00 UTC) containing a live gameplay demo. The preview will be shown at EA channel in Twitch, instead of streaming via TheSims channel on YouTube.
Meanwhile, SimsCamp was an event planned for late August, 2013 in Cologne, Germany. It is centered around 'The Sims 4' reveal at Gamescom. Many well-known fansites and personalities (called the "YibSims", meaning best friends in Simlish) were invited to be part of the event. They had the opportunity to ask questions and play the game for the first time.
Before the Gamescom reveal, multiple fansites have created articles which leaked the game's previews and information, which was found on the servers running on thesims.com website. There were many renders leaked as well and the leak also included an article from PC Powerplay, a gaming magazine.
The reveal was presented by Rachel Franklin, the executive producer on The Sims 4. She explained "SmartSim", a feature which enriches emotions for the Sims. In the game, the Sims' emotions are affected in many ways, for example, relationships, furniture, etc.
She also showed "creative tools", like the similar Create a Sim and Build Mode, which was reinvented to make them "intuitive, powerful and flexible". In build mode, you can still place a room and then "push and pull" these walls to extend. You can also drag rooms to anywhere "like ripping a page from a magazine". In Create a Sim, you can "sculpt a Sim" as if you are "playing with clay" and set their walk styles. It also shows off new objects like a voodoo doll, a violin and a punching bag.
At the end of the reveal, she stated that the official website for The Sims 4 is ready and pre-orders for Limited Edition and Digital Deluxe can be made.
- The Sims 4 will be playable in a single player offline mode and the core of the game is intended to be played offline, although it will have an online component to interact with friends. The game will not require a constant internet connection. However, the Origin client is required in order to install the game.
- Create a Sim and the buy and build modes will have big improvements. It has also been confirmed that relationships and interactions between Sims are improved as well, and are more complex.
- Many developers, designers, animators and other staff members who worked on previous Sims titles are working on The Sims 4.
- Rachel Franklin confirmed that there will be all-new voiceover content for The Sims 4 and no recycled voices from previous games.
- Sims can be right or left handed. It is currently unknown what effect this will have on gameplay.
- Violin, Guitar, Hacking, Cooking, Gardening, Writing, and WooHoo will become skills. It is unknown what other skills, if any, will appear in the game. It is presumed that Painting is a skill as well, due to released pictures, but it is not confirmed.
- It was confirmed that there will be a rocket ship, a microscope set, and a cupcake factory.
The game's final graphics differ greatly from these images.
- THE SIMS 4 CAS PICS (SimsCommunity)
References and notesEdit
- ↑  (SimsVIP)
- ↑ Tach, Dave (October 22, 2013). The Sims 4 delayed to fall 2014 worldwide release window.
- ↑ Maxis Unveils The Sims 4 (EA.com)
The Sims 4 in development for PC and Mac (EA.com)
- ↑  (SimsVIP)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 THE SIMS 4 LEAKED SCREENS + INFO (SimsCommunity)
Note: This article may show content which may not be included on the final release or be shown at Gamescom.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 July 23rd Live Broadcast (TheSims - YouTube)
- ↑ June 18th Live Broadcast (TheSims - YouTube)
- ↑ Confirmation of a Trailer and 'Much More' (@Charlie_Sin on Twitter)
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 The Sims 4 Announced - FULL VIP Conference Call Audio! (TheSimSupply - YouTube)
- ↑ SimsCamp Event (SimsVIP)
- ↑ The Sims 4 Official Q&A by SimGuruHydra (SimsVIP)
- ↑ Maxis Announces The Sims 4 (PC & MAC 2014) (SimsVIP)
- ↑ The Sims 4 General Information - EA Help
- ↑ Rachel Franklin The Sims 4 Audio Tweet
- ↑ http://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/emotions-and-interactions-in-the-sims-4/
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 The Sims™ Official Magazine issue 4
- ↑ BeyondSims Video Posting (BeyondSims)
- ↑ Patrick Kelley, EA Employee Portfolio
- ↑ Cow Plant & Other Concept Art
- ↑ The Southern Hemisphere, including Australia and Oceania, experience the Spring season at the same time that the Northern Hemisphere, including North America and Europe, experiences Fall/Autumn.
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims 3: Into the Future
October 22, 2013
|The Sims series PC games|