The Sims Wiki IRC Channel is an Internet Relay Chat channel that allows people to communicate with each other via live chat through the Internet. It is registered as #wikia-sims on the freenode network.
Almost any topic is up for discussion in the channel as long as it's not overly inappropriate. Administrators in the channel are marked with 'op', which is an @ in front of their name in addition to having operator status in the channel. Bureaucrats have the same cosmetic status as administrators with the addition of the ability to change user flags.
A guide to the general usage of IRC can be found here.
See how much fun we have in the channel by taking a look at the IRC quotes.
In short, use your common sense and treat others how you wish to be treated. Then everyone will get along nicely and drama/conflict is kept to a minimum. If you happen to witness something you shouldn't then tell an administrator via a private message.
- Andronikos Leventis
- AsherÉire (a.k.a. Ashio)
- Auror Andrachome (a.k.a. auror)
- LostInRiverview (a.k.a. LiR)
- Lost Labyrinth
- MrBenC (a.k.a. MrC/[Ben])
- Random Ranaun (a.k.a. taele)
- Woganhemlock (a.k.a. oshawott/roserade)
- Xd1358 (a.k.a. ecks)
Accessing the channelEdit
- Start your IRC client
- Click here to join #wikia-sims
- Wait a few seconds until the channel loads up.
Getting an IRC ClientEdit
There are many different clients for using IRC. Most people generally tend to use webchat (see "Browser connect through Freenode"). However, some clients provide you with more options than others. The Sims Wiki can recommend these clients:
- Chatzilla - a free IRC client for Firefox.
- mIRC - a client for Windows which isn't free but there is a 30 day free trial and you are able to purchase if you wish.
- XChat - a client for Windows which isn't free but there is a 30 day free trial and you are able to purchase if you wish.
- XChat Azure - a version of XChat for an Intel based Mac OS X which is free.
- HexChat - a free version of XChat for Windows.
- Colloquy - an IRC client for Mac OS X.
- Rooms - an IRC client for iOS which is not free.
Browser connect through FreenodeEdit
These are bots seen on the IRC Channel. Please remember that these are not humans (unless stated).
- JRCrichton is part human, part bot. He has a quotes system that we can use in addition to quotes page (usually for humorous one-liners).
- Alia is an AI bot, which you can literally talk to and expect a human response in return, for the most part. She learns from what is said in the channel and incorporates it into her vocabulary. Controlled by JRCrichton.
- Deux ex machina is a trivia bot used for leisure entertainment on #wikia-sims. It's a spiritual successor to AnvilBot and new features are incrementally being added. Commands can be found here. Controlled by Lost Labyrinth.
- delta is a bot that can create links to pages on the wiki by typing
[[<page name>]]. It posts new tweets from @thesimswiki, and has various other serious and not-so-serious commands that can be viewed by typing "
`commands" and "
`list alias". Controlled by Xd1358.
- ANickWith16Chars is a stats bot (see below). The bot also announces URLs as well as containing leisure commands purely for entertainment. For more information about these commands, please visit this article. Controlled by MrBenC.