Fanon wiki merge discussion Edit
Ok, after you hear this, I know that some of you may think that I am crazy, but I think we should merge The Sims Fanon Wiki with The Sims Wiki. Hear me out, at the Avatar wiki, they have merged their fanon wiki with the main one. While this was initially a controversial move, they claim that it paid off, because their wiki has many more contributors and visitors, making it much more active. I think we should merge these two wikis because with The Sims 3: Ambitions coming out in June, we will need to make our wiki known to people, preferably before the release. Another reason is that I have noticed that the activity of the fanon wiki went down for a while. What better way to bring the activity back up than merge it with a more popular wiki? Thank you for listening to this and please tell me what you think. --Random Ranaun 03:05, April 5, 2010 (UTC)
I hear your reasoning. I support the merging of the 2 wikis! Archie 03:08, April 5, 2010 (UTC)
I don't think that would be a very good idea. I think because there would be loads more of vandalism, but I'm just an IP so what do I know? :) 18.104.22.168 03:10, April 5, 2010 (UTC)
I'm assuming there was a reason for creating a separate wiki for fanon. Has that reason gone away? Will it come back if the two are combined? If the two are combined, I'd think there would have to be some way to "mark" fanon as such. How will that be handled? I'm not categorically against a merger, but I'm also not sure it's all that great of an idea. Dharden 14:30, April 6, 2010 (UTC)
- There were two reasons for creating a separate wiki. One Dharden mentioned, the need to mark or keep separate premade content from custom content. The second was whether an editor had the right to change something that someone else had written given that player stories are creative rather than encyclopedic. I had a brief discussion with a former admin. At the time I was pretty much the only one on, I didn't want to spend all my time fixing the spelling and grammar of everyone's story and decided to move the stories to subpages. At this point, I concede that merging might be a good idea. It would also make the discussion on what downloads and custom content should be included moot. --a_morris (talk) 03:05, April 7, 2010 (UTC)
I do have my concerns about increased vandalism, but, it would seem good for the community. Author 03:12, April 7, 2010 (UTC)
- I personally believe the two wikis should stay divided. There must be a reason why they were made into 2 different wikis, after all! Bleeh (talk) 22:40, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
I hate to jump back onto this Wiki after being so inactive for so long to voice my opinion, but I actually don't think this is a bad idea. My reasoning: 1) If I remember correctly, fans do come here and do post fan material that then needs to be moved and/or deleted by admins. Merging the two wikis makes this no longer necessary, and encourages game fans to visit and enrich themselves in knowledge of the game while posting their own content. 2) Merging the two allows the new merged wiki to capitalize on the visitors to both, increasing the number of visitors, number of editors, and number of active members. 3) Merging the two makes it easier for a visitor to find information both on the game and on fan material in one location.
Additionally, even if the two were created intentionally separate, that's not necessarily a good enough reason to keep it that way. Just as there is no point in needless change, there is no point in maintaining the status quo if doing so is detrimental. It's up to the best judgment of the Admins and members here (and on the other wiki) to determine whether or not the status quo is detrimental or not - I hesitate to say that it is, though I still support their combination.
That's just my $0.02 though. LostInRiverview 23:31, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
- I actually never thought of those possibilities. Though, if users did add info about their own characters, there would need to be a way for other users to be able to distinguish whether or not it's a Sim that's made by Maxis. There would need to be a category, or something, which I'm sure most new-comers to the wiki wouldn't add, since Wikia is confusing enough. Bleeh (talk) 23:37, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Well, I'm not saying it wouldn't be complicated. That's why it's important to determine whether the changes are needed or desired enough to justify upsetting the status quo. LostInRiverview 21:14, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
- C'mon people! We need to vote! We've had 16 people vote, but, no results! Archie 23:56, April 29, 2010 (UTC)
I will begin the official vote, according to our voting procedure, on May 1 and put an announcement on the main page. In the event of a tie, we will keep things the same, i.e. stay divided.
Should the "We combine" option prevail, it will be followed by a discussion/vote to determine how to add the new content and the merging will begin upon its conclusion and any maintenance tasks required (ex. creating templates, etc.) Any new content may be left until a decision is made. --a_morris (talk) 14:01, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
- So then, if a user makes a page about a fanon Sim, we just let it stay in the wiki until the voting is over? Or would we move it to the user namespace? If it's the first, then how would we remember to move it to the user namespace if the wikis stay divided? Bleeh (talk) 20:49, April 30, 2010 (UTC)
- At the present moment, I am mulling my thoughts over. I'm kind of thinking a merger would not be the worst thing. The Sims Wiki has a much more structured and, clean lay out. Of course given the time, I feel that I could equally make the Fanon Wiki just as efficent. Another plus, the fan fiction people make/compose would reach a wider audience if merged. It's a toguh decision... TamBams219 02:21, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm totally agains't it! Why did we make players stories after all?!AGuyCalledJoe 14:59, May 2, 2010 (UTC)
- I can't see merging being a disaster, but I can see it being a damn pain without extremely well-laid guidelines, and possibly even with them. There needs to be more than just a category or two from fanon if the merger takes place, there needs to be clear signalling so that we can see from every link and every page whether it is fanon or Maxis/EA canon. Keeping the two separate but working out a clearer agreement or wider cross-culture some other way seems infinitely preferable. This place has potential. That (alongside the fact that I've been housebound a bit lately) are the reasons I've made so many edits here. This is already a premium site for canonical information about the Sims, and that's a great specialty that I'd like to help realise. Approach the likes of Delphy, and get more traffic flowing between this site and MTS. Get the pages really informative so that people know this is the place they can come to see a list of every lot in Sunset Valley, or a list of all the starters. Useful info like that made easily accessible. The site is already most of the way there. A fanon merger will only - I suspect - detract from the canon. People will be here for their own stories, and not for The Sims series so much. (Kiwi tea 17:14, May 2, 2010 (UTC))
Fanon wiki merge vote Edit
The Sims Wiki and The Sims Fanon Wiki should merge.
Voting is closed.
- --a_morris (talk) 00:14, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Archie Andrew fan
- Aurora 04:28, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Petty773 16:54, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- TamBams219 20:58, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Random Ranaun 05:33, May 2, 2010 (UTC)
- --Auror. plus the great Andrachome 04:03, May 1, 2010 (UTC) I've decided that I will agree
- --Walker guy94 (talk) 13:11, May 8, 2010 (UTC)
- Author 16:20, May 8, 2010 (UTC) I wanna see how it goes.
- Yay! More pages! Salem. Guy. 123 21:01, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Elfears 21:56, May 11, 2010 (UTC) I would like that
- Hello. I'm an unregistered contributor! I'm not sure if I can vote but look at the facts. This wiki is very slow. Wikis like Avatar and Kingdom Hearts, have twice the many users we do. It's pretty sad. So I'm hoping that the merge will help us out. 22.214.171.124 04:23, May 8, 2010 (UTC)
- Dharden 05:11, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- --Bleeh (talk) 03:28, May 1, 2010 (UTC) Bet I'll be the only one, but so be it. I definitely disagree with the option to merge, but hey, it's not my wiki anyways.
- --Sparrowsong 04:01, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
- -- Kiwi tea 09:12, May 1, 2010 (UTC) I know I'm new, and I can see the arguments in favour of this, but I see it making a mess. I have extensive Fanon for Riverblossom Hills. Now that would make things confusing! I'm sure I'm only one of hundreds like that.
- --DavidMC123 14:13 Saturday, May 01, 2010 (UTC) (I think that's the right time)I have made an image of pros and cons. Here is the image.
- AGuyCalledJoe 14:56, May 2, 2010 (UTC) It would make a complete mess, people will be confused and they will probably wont know if a sim is fanon or not this is the same as when there was a discussion with the SimCity games of the MySims besides this wiki is about The Sims Series not The Sims Fanon Series >.>
- Mischem6 00:07, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Deftera 18:17, May 4, 2010 (UTC)
- LostInRiverview 02:16, May 8, 2010 (UTC) While I personally agree with (or am at most neutral about) the idea of merging, I can see that quite a few people here are against the merge. Therefore, I'm voting against it, because I don't think we should go into something like this with a less than clear concensus, which I see we fail to have at the moment.
- Guffers 13:23, May 8, 2010 (UTC) It would get to complicated as people wouldn't bother to mark their stuff as CC. And anyway, does the Fanon Wiki want to merge?
- --Lewislew 16:14, May 10, 2010 (UTC) I disagree, it would just make this confusing and pointless!
- UBFunkaneer 21:54, May 11, 2010 (UTC) On the Spore Wiki, there was more Fanon than Canon. The same'll happen here. And if someone accidentally made a sim with the same name as a future sim, they'd be yelled at vandalism they did not commit.
- I agree with Funkaneer. RaikuLuciferSamiyaza 00:56, May 15, 2010 (UTC)
Fanon wiki merge vote results Edit
- Agree: 45%
- Neutral: 5%
- Disagree: 50%
It was 12 agree and 12 disagree get the neutral to decide whether he agrees or disagrees and then make the desision