The Therapist is an NPC that comes to help Sims when they go into aspirational failure (Aspiration bar in total red). He examines the Sims and helps them getting back a little of their Aspiration Bar, then he disappears again. The Therapist is just a mirage seen by Sims in aspirational failure and does not exist.
With cheats, it's possible to have a baby with the Therapist. Although, the Therapist does not have very good genetics and most offspring have very small eyes right next to each other and have narrow faces.
The shrink can only be seen by the Sim that he is taking care of. But Sims in the same room will turn to the Sim being helped and do the 'You're Crazy!' sign.
With the use of hacks and cheats, the player can add the Therapist to a playable family, but he shows up for a few seconds and is not seen again on the lot, but still in Sim menus and family description, and it is quite irritating as the player can't get rid of him, and if the player tries to kill him with the death creator, he won't die as he doesn't appear in a physical form. The PlumbBob appears next to the tombstone of L and D and is frozen in that spot.
- A second Elder thumbnail of him exists in the game files and can be found with SimPE.
- With "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" typed in the cheat box, he can be made selectable by holding the shift button and clicking "MAKE SELECTABLE", however, this is not recommended, as it can cause game corruption since the Therapist is not a Sim, but an object. A much safer way to play as the Therapist is to create him in CAS with debugging cheats enabled.
- When using SimPE, one can see that his last name is Therapist, making his technical name Therapist Therapist.
- The Therapist cannot be seen by other Sims, other than the Sim he is healing. This is similar to what happens with a Sim and the Social Bunny.
- The therapist won't be seen if made selectable, and then clicked on. This is because he is meant to be invisible to all unvisited Sims including himself.
- He and Pollination Technician are the only NPCs in The Sims 2 base game to have customized face templates.
- His hair was probably black before it turned grey, seeing as if the player makes a Sim have a baby with him, they will usually have black hair. The Therapist's genetics also seem to be very dominant.