The Sims Wiki - Weekly Community Blog
Let's get down to the news!
- Live Chat with The Sims 3
Wow! Certainly we were all expecting some new EP to be revealed at the Live Chat, but what we got is completely unbelievable. In case you've been living under a rock the past couple days, here's what we've learned:
- The Sims 3: University Life expansion pack is finally confirmed, with a March 2013 release date. The pack will introduce a new sub-neighborhood (presently called Sims University - it's unknown if this is the official name or a placeholder), which can be visited by Young Adults or older. Unlike The Sims 2: University, any non-minor Sims can enroll in the university. Along with the announcement of the game, several game details have also been announced - those details can be found on the game's page, so be sure to give it a read!
- The Sims 3: Island Paradise expansion has been announced, with a planned June 2013 release date. Details on this pack are more scarce, but it seems to be a vacation themed pack, rather than an adventure-themed pack as in The Sims 3: World Adventures.
- A third 2013 expansion pack, themed around time travel, was also announced, but the pack currently has no name or gameplay features.
- Only one new stuff pack was announced, based around iconic costumes and clothing, though the pack is not yet named and does not have a definite release date.
- The Sims 2 Website Shutting Down
As reported in this blog, The Sims 2 website is set to shut down on January 14. Many people have been reporting that the Exchange on the site is not working, so if you're able to access it still, consider yourself lucky. Remember that everything needs to be retrieved from the site by the 14th.
- Maxis returns!
This may seem like a footnote compared to other news this week, but it's worth noting that Maxis has made a comeback to The Sims series. Namely, the official box art for The Sims 3: University Life features the (new) Maxis logo - the last time a Maxis logo (the old one) was featured on a The Sims box was with The Sims: Makin' Magic in 2003! If the logo is also featured in the game's loading sequence, it would mark the first use of the Maxis logo in-game since The Sims 2: Seasons in 2007
Obviously, the major game announcements and updating our articles is our major focus right now, but there are a few items of note as far as wiki and/or community news is concerned
- Please don't duplicate pages
In the few days since the Live Chat, we've had about a half-dozen pages created for The Sims 3: University Life, with a varying array of different (incorrect) names, and most having a general lack of information. Please note that pages for expansions are typically created nearly instantly after a confirmation is announced, so if you still can't find pages for these expansions, you should be trying to refine your searches rather than assuming the pages don't exist. Please be sure, before starting a page, that there isn't already a page that we have that covers what you're writing about.
- Cite your sources
As is the case whenever a new game is announced, be sure that you cite your sources whenever you add information to a game page. There are a lot of rumors about game features that fly around after a pack is announced, so citing your source helps prove that the information you're adding is true. Without a citation, your information will be deleted and you could be warned if you continually add it without providing proof.
There are several matters on our Community Discussions forum that still require user input and ideas - even if you only write a sentence, your ideas and opinions are important, and are needed in order for decisions to be reached. Please take some time to look at these key discussions (as well as other discussions in the Forum).
- EA Community Relationship - A thread discussing the possibility of The Sims Wiki forging an official relationship with EA; this is an important topic, which could affect this wiki greatly, so everyone should be sure to weigh in as soon as possible.
- Discussing notability and establishing a notability policy - This thread discusses the possibility of creating a policy regarding whether articles are or are not relevant on The Sims Wiki, including articles about prominent The Sims gamers, game modifications, websites, online personalities, etc. This discussion has slowed down, but it still needs to reach a resolution, so please give your input.
- Time to retire the Newsletter? - This is a thread that proposes ending the Newsletter. A resolution may be reached soon, so make sure to participate soon if you want your voice heard.
- Revising the Forums policy - This thread proposes a change to the wiki's Forum Policies. Since the forums were re-designed, they've been emphasized more but the policies haven't changed to match it. A resolution needs to be reached, so please participate.
Well, that's all the news I've got for you this week. If I've missed something, feel free to let me know in the comments below.
-- LostInRiverview talk ~ blog 04:05, January 11, 2013 (UTC)